Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Off to Amsterdam next week. Would appreciate any last minute advice from fello Fodorites!

Search

Off to Amsterdam next week. Would appreciate any last minute advice from fello Fodorites!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 03:51 AM
sara

Hello, <BR>Off to Amsterdam next Saturday for 2 nights. Will be arriving at 9am on Sat and leaving at 8pm on Monday. What should I do on Sunday, since most attractions will be closed?

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 04:03 AM
frank

Be aware many stores etc. are closed on Monday morning.The museums are open on Sunday.A canal cruise is more fun than you'd think & interesting.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:00 AM
s.fowler

Enjoy and report back! We'll be in Amsterdam in the middle of March. <BR>I think all the museums are open Sunday. The two I'd recommend are Ann Grank Huis and the new VanGogh museum. On Monday you an visit the flower market on Singelgracht.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:44 AM
AB

I've been living here for a few months now, and I think that pretty much everything bar the street markets remains open. The Van Gogh museum and Rijksmuseum are definitely open and well worth a look. A canal boat trip is almost obligatory and, of course, the Anne Frankhuis is essential. But in reference to a previous post, Monday mornings are much more boring than Sundays - literally nothing is open, apart, it seems, from the company I work for.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 07:20 AM
wes fowler

In Amsterdam, take a stroll along the Herrengracht. It's the canal between the Singel and the Keizersgracht and has the most notable collection of Amsterdam's impressive canal houses. You'll obviously note the varied and distinctive gables of the houses, but keep your eyes open, too, for the cartouches on many of them. There are fascinating details by and over doors and windows that are too frequently overlooked by sightseers. It will only take a few minutes walking for your curiosity to be aroused about what the innards of one of these houses are like. At 605 Herrengracht at the canal's eastern end near the Amstel is the Willet-Holthuysen museum, a furnished three-story home dating from the late 17th century. The museum also has a fine collection of silverware, glass and ceramics. As a bonus, there's a garden in the French style! If you want to pass up the museum, the garden is visible from the Amstelstraat, the street on the banks of the Amstel River. <BR> <BR>Since most of Amsterdam's museums are closed on Monday, you might want to look into the Van Loon museum, another late 17th century home with a lovely formal garden, which is only open on Monday. It's at 672-674 Keizersgracht, the canal just south of Herrengracht. On your way you might want to stop in at the Six collection. Another house dating from the late 17th century it houses a number of 17th century paintings including a number of Rembrandts (Six was his patron). For admission, you need a card of introduction available from the information desk of the Rijksmuseum on presentation of your passport. <BR> <BR>Look into the Bloemenmarkt, a retail flower market held on a dozen or so canal boats by the Mint Tower. The flowers and bulbs come from the tulip fields around Haarlem and from the Aalsmeer auction house. <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Darryl

Going to A'Dam Thursday { feb 8 } and would like some info on things not to miss and places to go in or out of town. I will be there a week and need the local scoop???

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 05:19 PM
john

I would add several other possibilities to the fine suggestions already given. <BR>Rembrandt's House is not far from the center, and it certainly is fascinating to get to see many of his engravings in actual space he created them in. I personally think the most impressive building in the city is the Town Hall (on the Dam) built in the 17th century as an expression of Dutch pride in independence--a people's palace. A really grand interior. And, the most unusual house museum I have ever been to in my life is the Museum Amstelkring. (It's attic is such a surprise I don't want to spoil it by saying any more). Finally, to understand the city, the Amsterdams Historisch Museum is essential (next door is the Civic Guard Gallery--a street lined with priceless paintings!) Yes, Amsterdam has weeks worth of possibilities.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Danna

we didn't get a chance to go to the Jardan (spelling?) district. Sounded Lovely. Go to an Indonesian restaurant and have a ristaffel... rice table ... go hungry tho. Have Fun!

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 07:19 AM
frank

For Darryl, <BR> The URL you need is: <BR>http://www.amsterdambackdoor.com <BR>They do weekly event updates as well as general interest.You may get a 404 for the .css file but the rest of the site works ok. <BR>NB:not for the fainthearted.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Ellen

Is it easy to get around in Amsterdam if you don't speak Dutch? I can probably pick up a few words before I go but will I be able to communicate with people in shops? I have heard that many people speak English. Is that true? How is the taxi service? Is it expensive? I've read guidebooks that say cycling is the way to get around but I don't think I can manage it.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Karin

Hey Sara, try this website, it gives you a virtual tour through Amsterdam with alot of information and links of interesting places, hotels and restaurants to visit. I used it to plan a weekend and it was a great help. <BR>Have a great time there! <BR>Karin <BR>http://www.channels.nl

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 10:34 AM
marj

Ellen, <BR>Everyone speaks beautiful English. Langauage is not a problems at all. Not only do they speak English but everyone seems so friendly and very knowledgable of area, history, etc. As far as getting around, it's a small place, you can walk to many places if you're centrally located and there is also a trolley/bus system. it's easy to get around in any case. last resort, take a cab.