Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Odd bits of foreign currency that you have leftover.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 07:32 PM
arjay

I just read of a great program whereby UNICEF can convert any and all of those currency contributions to help their global programs. Apparently, British Airways and one of the Canadaian airlines, routinely 'pass the hat' on return (to the US) trips, collecting for this. Has anyone ever heard of this? Sure sounds like a great idea and one that would be good to spread to other airlines.....

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 09:06 PM
betsy

Yes, this was done on our TWA flight from CDG to the US in July. I agree, a good idea.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 02:51 AM
Peg

We have discovered that most international airports now have a containers where you can throw any left over local currency. The charity is usually indicated on the containers. We go looking for them when we have finished any shopping before boarding the plane. Peg.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 03:48 AM
Marcos Velez

I have always thought of this as a great program. I've flown British Airways many times and they've had the UNICEF pouches in every trip I've taken with them. It's part of the comfort kits they give out to each passenger. I normally throw in any loose change I have in my pockets. If you read the back of the envelopes, it tells you how much money they have collected in loose change over the years (it is an amzing sum!)

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Patrick

American Airlines always passes out those UNICEF envelopes on overseas flights, but I've always managed to pack all my various leftovers in luggage. I recently saw a small ad in our local newspaper of a major local travel agent who does the same collection, so just took a big jar of leftovers from my last 5 or 6 trips. I would suspect it's something a lot of travel agencies do.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 08:46 AM
jim

Other posters have covered the British Airways program, so the only thing I'll add is that (I think) the last time II flew British Airways, they mentioned that you could drop off your foreign coins at any British Airways counter at any airport.