Reload this Page >

OBERGURGL, AUSTRIA, anyone been?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Allison

We're interested in going skiing in Obergurgl, Austria, this January and we're even possibly concidering getting married on the HOHE MUT HUTTE...do you know of the place? Do you know anything about getting a marriage "blessing" up there? Thanks!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 02:43 PM
xxx

Nope, never been there. LOVE the name! Say it aloud--Obergurgl!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 12:35 AM
Eli

I've been there in summer, so I don't have a first hand skiing experience. The village is pretty, though, with a typical Tyrolean ambiance. Its exceptionally high altitude will assure better snow quality than lower altitude resorts, a point which shouldn't be taken lightly in this time and age of global warming. Check out www.obergurgl.com the bottom part of which displays the contact information of the local tourist office. They should be able to provide marriage tips.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Bob Brown

In addition to Obergurgl, there are also the villages of Hochgurgl and Untergurgl. And after the rains this spring there was Gurglgurgl. <BR>Also about that mountain vista named Hohe Mut: The name can be translated as high courage. <BR>Not sure if that means you need courgage to get up there, or to come down. <BR> <BR>I cannot help you with the marriage bit. <BR>(I married once over 40 years ago, and never did it again because there was no need.) <BR>That valley lives on tourism, so my guess is that the tourist office will respond. And many people in that area speak enough English to help. I know the man with whom I have scheduled an apartment rental knows enough English to be helpful. <BR>I can get by in German, but I think his English is a little better than my German.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 02:50 PM
ingrid

Yes, I've been there (both to the Hohe Mut and getting married). However, you probably know that in Austria only civil ceremonies are legal (and they are conducted in the town hall). A church wedding is afterwards, and I've never heard of a priest/pastor conducting a wedding anywehere else but in a church (unlike in the US). Check out http://www.wedaway.com for info on getting married abroad. Good luck!