Oberammergau Passion Play tips?

Sep 12th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Oberammergau Passion Play tips?

We plan on attending the Passion Play in Oberammergau in 2010. How soon should be try to reserve tickets? We don't plan to go as part of a group (is that possible)...will that make attending more or less difficult? There will be 3 of us.
How soon to reserve a hotel? Any recs?
We'll be driving.

Also, any general tips about the play and Oberammergau much appreciated!

Sep 12th, 2008, 05:26 AM

THIS I can probably help you with.

We saw it back in 2000 and are going again in 2010.

Both times independently.

the tickets for individuals NOT using a tour operator are ALREADY on sale through the Passion Play office and have been for several months. We got our reservation confirmation about two months ago.

It seems that most of the hotel rooms in town are given over to the PP for the packages, etc., and, of course, to the numerous tour operators.

www.passionsspiele2010.de

As to attendance. In 2000 the first part was presented in the morning and then there was a break for lunch of about 3 hours followed by the conclusion.

I believe in 2010 that schedule has changed and there is no longer a "morning" presentation..it may all be done in the afternoon and evening..sorry to not be more specific but am at work and don't have the particulars in front of me.

I hope this is helpful and if it isn't, my apologies.

We really enjoyed the PP and the crucifixion scene was so real-looking it was pretty uncanny.
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Hi BTilke; Type in 'alte post' in the search column and you will bring up some information. You can also go to nonstoptravel.net and find additional information. Plus google or yahoo Oberammergau Passion Play and you will find much information. ENJOY Iris
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Sorry..as to Ober itself: very picturesque village with LOTS of wood carvers and the PP theatre, of course. The place looks like the qunitessential postcard photo...the chalet-style buildings, the overflowing flower boxes, etc. You can easily walk everywhere of real interest once you park the car.

Are you taking the doggie?
Sep 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, Dukey. We'll probably order our tix ASAP. Yes, the cocker is coming. I checked out the links you provided and will have to contact the Passion Play organizers to see how that will work. We'll probably try for one of the two better hotel categories, maybe staying just one night instead of two.

If we can't get a dog-accepting room in Oberammergau itself, we'll try for someplace within train distance, which means we won't be able to order tickets until next year (i.e., no package). The site says:
These are intended for our guests who can reach Oberammergau conveniently in a day's journey. The advance sale of tickets without a package begins in spring 2009.

Thanks again!
Iris, I will check the link you provided as well, thanks
Sep 17th, 2008, 06:46 PM

DH and I also attended in 2000.

We got our package tickets just 2 months prior to our visit through the website. We drove.

If you plan to visit without a package, one thing to consider is meals. All the restaurants in town serve meals as a part of the play package. Everyone I saw who tried to get a table independently at lunch or dinner was turned away. This may not be as much of a problem if play is only presented
in the afternoon in 2010. You could eat lunch outside of town before arriving for the play and again outside town after the play.

We saw a few visitors strolling through town with their dogs.

I think Oberammergau is the often the picture people have in their mind when they think of Bavaria. Very quaint, full of postcard pictures and lots of tourist shops. If you are inclined and have time, there are some short, easy hikes from town.

Good luck with your arrangements. Enjoy!
Feb 26th, 2009, 08:59 AM

The Road less Traveled, a subsidiary of One Fine Day, llc in the United States, offers group packages with very good rates. Contact Claire Kiamie at [email protected] for more information on the group packages. Tickets to the Passion Play are included.

Search this Thread