Oban or Inverness?

Search

Oban or Inverness?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oban or Inverness?

Going to Scotland in early Sept. We'll have 4 days. Want somewhere where we can land that is centrally located and do day trips? Neighter Oban or Inverness are centrally located, but which would you choose?
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 03:23 PM

bdoll58,

Even although Inverness is bigger & has more shopping etc. I would definitely vote for Oban. Both the town itself & the surrounding area are much more scenic than Inverness & Oban is also a hub for ferries to the islands which would be excellent day trips.

Jim
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 03:32 PM

I agree with JJBhoy. We stayed on Loch Awe and made a day trip to Oban. I thought it was a pretty cool town and wouldn't mind spending more time there. If you're fond of a wee dram of the single malt, be sure to tour Oban Distillery.
http://www.uisge.com/ud/oban.html
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 04:51 PM

I think it depends on what is of most interest to you in the surrounding areas -- such as Loch Ness, Culloden Battlefield, Cawdor Castle, Fort George, Speyside distilleries or a daytrip to the Orkneys from Inverness; Kilmartin Glen, Mull/Iona, Inveraray, Glencoe, etc., from Oban.

I've stayed in both. Neither has a lot of attractions in town, but IMHO, Oban is a more charming town (but then I happen to like harbor towns). The harbor is very picturesque and great for strolling in the evening. We've posted a few pictures on our Webshots site, including this one: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60634479QmCTsF

If I had to choose, I'd go back to Oban. I think the scenery in that area is spectacular.

Inverness is a larger town and a bit more difficult to navigate. If you do choose that area, I'd consider staying somewhere near Inverness (Nairn?), but not in the town itself.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 07:56 PM

I wouldn't stey IN either one. ms_go has explained the differences pretty well.

Inverness is very central to an amazing number of attractions/sites. The Spey, Black Isle (Bottle nose dolphins w/i yards of tge shore), Culloden, Cawdor, Ft George, Brodie, Urquhart/Loch Ness, Wester Ross and the fabulous NW coast, Caithness, Dunrobbin, Inverewe and on and on.

Oban is convenient for Mull.Iona, Kilmartin, Loch Linnhe, etc.

neither town though is all that great. Oban has the advantage of the harbor, esplanade and Inverness has the river running through the center of town.

If you want to choose which town to stay IN I'd choose Oban (especially if you include a trip to Mull). If you want to know which area has more interesting places to explore -- probably Inverness.

But really either one would be fine.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 01:48 AM

Oban for sure for all the prior reasons, plus the people are nice and the scenery's terrific.

As an alternative and to aim for your first question, have you thought about somewhere like Dunkeld- you can reach teh Highlands, and Edinburgh and Fife and Oban, all in a day trip. I think islands would be out, tho'