Search

O/N in Istanbul - Central Hotel on Quiet Street

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2023, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O/N in Istanbul - Central Hotel on Quiet Street

Hello All,

I have a long layover in IST coming up in May and plan to spend the afternoon and night in the city. I've never been to Istanbul before and hope to squeeze in at least a little sightseeing (Topkapi Palace top of my wish list), so I'm guessing I will need to stay in Sultanahmet or nearby.

Are there any areas/particular blocks/streets in tourist central that aren't filled with shops selling tourist tat? Quiet blocks without hordes of people walking through? Or do I need to adjust my expectations?

Thanks for any ideas.

Old Mar 16th, 2023, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If all you have is an afternoon, and Topkapi Palace is top of your wish list, stay as close as possible. Because Topkapi, Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque are all very close together, (as I recall) just two - four blocks apart, you will definitely be walking through crowds, lines and rug dealers, so adjust your expectations. It is all part of the atmosphere. Book tickets ahead if you can to avoid lines. Some hotel streets are just a block off the main area and those will be quiet. It all gets quiet in the late evening. It is a beautiful and interesting city. Food is fantastic!

BTW, Dogs and cats are cared for by the city and allowed to be free, so you will see them resting, sleeping, being fed by restaurants, etc. They are not abandoned strays. Enjoy them.
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 07:43 PM

Sassafrass correctly remembers that Topkapi and Haga Sofia are close to each other, and the underground cistern is also nearby. Lines at Topkapi can get long; a strategy to avoid the wait is to look for an English speaking guide putting together a small group tour near the entrance. They are all licensed and legit. If you join such a group the guide gets expedited access to obtain entry tickets so you avoid the wait in line to buy individual tickets.
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas about Topkapi Palace! I will seek a hotel nearby.
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 10:21 AM

Here's my Istanbul trip report from 2015. We loved our hotel and enjoyed the street, which was not busy at all. However, we could hear the morning and evening mosque calls.
Trip Report Istanbul: hectic, opulent, diverse and extremely welcoming - Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (fodors.com)
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 04:39 PM
mjs

The Four Seasons has a great location. There are some shops in front facing the hotel but its a pretty quiet street.
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 05:13 PM

It's been about a decade since we were there, so not recent experience: We stayed at the Empress Zoe, which is across the street from the Four Seasons. We loved the hotel, and I don't recall the streets around it having hordes of people. Looks like it still gets good reviews. Very convenient to the Topkapi Palace and other sites in Sultanahmet.
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, after much dithering, I booked Empress Zoe. Leaving for this trip in 2-1/2 weeks and finally booked all my hotels. I'm not one to plan early!
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 05:27 AM

Hello. Topkapi Palace is a great choice. Besides that, you shouldn't miss Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and the Grand Bazaar. Also, Basilica Cistern is one of the must see places. (You can find the full list on istanbul-pulse.com.) My advice for you would be: If you have such preferences, you don't have to stay in Sultanahmet, which is one of Istanbul's tourist centers. You can also stay in the neighborhoods close to Sultanahmet. In my opinion, the most luxurious and livable district of Istanbul, where local people with high culture reside and tourists are less common, is Nisantasi. You can consider staying here and taking a taxi to Sultanahmet during the day. Have a great vacation!
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leely2
Thanks all, after much dithering, I booked Empress Zoe. Leaving for this trip in 2-1/2 weeks and finally booked all my hotels. I'm not one to plan early!
Hi, leely2,if you're flying on Turkish Air you might check out their offers of a free hotel room if you're staying more than 12 hours, and also they are providing some tours of the city. If you're interested, just plug in your flight and find out if you qualify. We are headed to Istanbul in about the same time, but are staying with friends. Cheers

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...ghts/stopover/
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 06:45 AM

we loved the Banks hotel. Quieter area but close to tram. Fantastic breakfast too.