Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

NY Times travel section, 10/15/00, on Vienna, Paris, Heidelberg Christmas Market

Search

NY Times travel section, 10/15/00, on Vienna, Paris, Heidelberg Christmas Market

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 06:19 AM
kk

In today's NY Times travel section (Oct. 15/00) are several great articles about Vienna, one comprehensive one on what's doing in Paris, and basic info on this year's Heidelberg Christmas market. All these topics are of frequent interest to us fodorites. If you can't buy a copy of today's NY Times, then if you log on TODAY you can read these articles for free at www.nytimes.com. You have to register but that's no big deal. <BR>If you wait until after midnight, then you will have to pay $2.50 for each article. So...hurry. Especially the wealth of info on Vienna is really worth reading and keeping.

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 08:16 AM
adrienne

Hi KK, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the tip - the articles were great. I usually log on the NYTimes on Sunday but forgot this morning since I'm busy learning how to create a web site, so I appreciated your reminder. The Times usually has some good travel articles. <BR>Regards, Adrienne

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 05:46 PM
Rex

It doesn't to be strictly true that you have to pay $2.50 to read an article after the day it is published - - but it is amost as if you have to know that an artile is there to view it for free. For the most recent two weeks, they are still free, if you know what you are looking for - - for example, last week's "Choice Tables" feature on the Sologne area of France (east of the Loire valley) is accessible at: <BR> <BR>www.nytimes.com/2000/10/08/travel/08TAB.html <BR> <BR>...and if you know specific URL's of past articles you want to read, I think you can read them much later than two weeks later. I wonder if it is a violation of their intellectual property rights to post a list of good articles, and their URL's. For example, here's one I saved on restaurants in bilbao (which I hope I can use in the next year or so): <BR> <BR>http://www.nytimes.com/library/trave.../ct990509.html <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 06:04 PM
kk

Rex, that's interesting. I've never been able to get a URL to come up after midnight the day the original saw print. I do know that there are a few articles that the Times will keep around for all to see for quite awhile. Their recent laudable series of ten articles on race in America was one such. <BR>Usually I don't have trouble with the travel articles because I keep the ones I'm interested in in hard copy. It's the other articles in the Times that I don't keep that when I want to find them I have to pay that $2.50 Like the article about Lance Armstrong's favorite gismo for tracking his bicycling performance, that kind of esoterica. THAT one was even hard to find through the search function and by the time I finally found it I was most happy to pay the money just to get the blasted thing...so I could forward it to my son. <BR>Tomorrow, just for fun, I'm going to see if I can pull up today's articles on Vienna. That should be instructive. <BR>Thanks for the idea.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 03:34 PM
Christina

You can easily view the NYT travel section all week long for free and without knowing anything about the names of the articles. You can also view the Sunday magazine and arts sections all week; I do it almost every week and never read them on Sunday. All you have to do is click on "site index" on the NYT home page (left bar, towards the bottom of the "Services" section, about middle of the page), then click on "Travel" under the "Features" section on the index page(or Sunday Arts or Magazine or whatever you want) and you will get the entire travel Sunday web page and can read whatever article you want. It remains there all week in the "site index" section until replaced by the next week's issue.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 06:03 PM
kk

Christina, that's useful info. <BR>As a test today I typed in "Vienna" in the nytimes.com search function, which pulled up yesterday's three articles on that city and said it would be $2.50 each to view them. Your way is much much better, needless to say. <BR>I do get the paper daily but this is useful info if I want to email an article from the travel section to a friend. Thanks again. kk