NW Portugal - Moncao Minho

Old Aug 1st, 2014, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NW Portugal - Moncao Minho

We are planning a May 2015 trip to my husband's father's home town in Portugal. We will begin our adventure in Lisbon and drive north to the town of Moncao Minho. We are looking for accommodations in Moncao Minho and will be traveling with his grown children - six adults. Anyone have experience/information on the area and/or hotel recommendations. I know it is close to Vigo, Spain, and we do plan on staying there as well. Thx - Karen
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 08:27 AM

I know the town because I take that road back home after visiting Valença do Minho (try and visit here several times of year).
Hotles on Booking.
http://www.booking.com/city/pt/moncao-pt.pt-pt.html
I quite like the town and area. The Minho at this point is very different river to where I live, sort of lazy and calming. A few points along the river one can find picnic spots and a old village with fortified towers.

http://www.cm-moncao.pt/portal/page/...icipal/Turismo

I would much rather spend time here than in the largest city of Galicia called Vigo!
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 08:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We really enjoyed our visit to the Minho area and then traveled into Galicia. We picked up our Spanish rental car in Vigo, a city, and I wouldn't stay there. Look at Baiona and El Grove for wonderful waterfront towns in Galicia. There is a very nice Parador in Baiona.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 04:50 PM

I had a short trip to the Minho region from Lisbon in 2013. We spent our first two nights in Viana do Castelo (not on the Minho, but rather on the Lima River, but also beautiful). Two days there, with trips down to Caminha and to see the lovely romanesque church at Bravaes (not a common tourist destination, but romanesque is one of my real loves). On the way to Moncao, we stopped at Ponte de Barca and a few other small towns. In Moncao we stayed at Convento dos Capuchos, nothing fancy but fine.

From Moncao we visited the Palacio das Brejoeiras, Melgaco, and the northernmost part of the Peneda Geres park (HIGHLY recommended, this park is quite beautiful), where we took a short hike up to the castle a few km away from Castro Labroeiro. We visited several towns inside that part of the park, including Soajo, and then moved to another hotel for two nights, the Quinta de Pais. From there we visited the southern part of Peneda Geres park, some monasteries, did some hiking, etc. All in all a great trip, you will love the region. Some pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1041057...CLSty_qLlYCuCg
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

How exciting - love the passionate responses - we meet with our kids soon and will discuss our trip and all recommendations - thank you so much - Karen