Reload this Page >

Nutella! Can't get it out of mind.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 1999, 01:01 PM
judy

Reading someone's Nutella response to "strange things" made me start thinking about this delicious spread which I devoured at breakfast during my trip last summer to Germany and Austria. It tastes like chocolate frosting to put on the breakfast rolls. Has anyone ever bought it in the U.S.? If so, where? I'm craving it; guess I could just buy a can of chocolate icing , but somehow that's just not the same... <BR>

Old May 3rd, 1999, 01:10 PM
Dawn

Judy, where do you live? You can get Nutella at most Grocery Stores on the East Coast.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 01:14 PM
Lynn

Hi Judy: <BR> <BR>I'm addicted to that stuff too. I worked at Cost Plus Imports during high school (MANY years ago) and one of my co-workers offered me a taste of it. Seemed weird to put chocolate on a piece of bread, but I guess it's no different than a chocolate donut, is it? Anyway, I bought it at Cost Plus for years and now I see it in the grocery stores all the time. Have you checked your local supermarkets? If not, try a gourmet or specialty food store. <BR> <BR>Hope you find it!

Old May 3rd, 1999, 04:43 PM
berna

Judy, you're not the only one. I'm Dutch and am spending a year in the states now. I couldn't find it up here and I'm used to eat it every day on my bread! so my parents came to visit and brought some nutella and tons of dutch chocolate. here in america they don't now what good chocolate is! <BR>but I do have seen Nutella in the stores up here.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 04:46 PM
Caryn

I live in NJ and Nutella can be bought at any grocery store. I think it's in the peanut butter section. It's a little expensive but for those of you who can't live without it, so what? I personally like my chocolate straight (or in cake or ice cream form).

Old May 3rd, 1999, 04:54 PM
dina

<BR>Hi- <BR>There's a delicious Israeli spread called "HaShahar HaOle," that's available at some supermarkets and most kosher/international markets. It's only chocolate, not chocolate & hazelnut, like Nutella.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 05:37 PM
Jeanie

I have found Nutella lately at most grocery stores in the Chicago area and throughout Wisconsin.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 05:44 PM
Elsa

Hi Judy, <BR>I know in the Boston area you can find Nutella in the jam section of the supermarket.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 05:59 PM
Donna

Hi, Judy: That was my post! So cool to find other Nutella Lovers. It is findable all over at major grocery stores. I've found it for years. Try spreading it on vanilla wafers . . . yum. If you don't have the wafers, just eat it out of the can. SATISFACTION.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 06:21 PM
Teri

Soyez calme! Nutella is available here in coastal, rural Oregon in Safeway (of all places). It is, yes, shelved with the peanut butter and is expensive but, hey! I, too, have experienced Nutella withdrawal but no more... On Sunday mornings I make my own brand of sort-of crepes, smear them with Nutella, and am happy. My daughters and I sought them out at the crepe stands in Paris several years ago. Now, they won't join me due to the fat content. C'est la vie, n'est-ce pas?

Old May 4th, 1999, 02:26 AM
Juan

IMO the Nutella found in US grocery stores tastes different than that in Europe....I think the ingredients are different somehow. I was disappointed in the Nutella I have bought in USA so on my last trip to Germany I bought a extra large jar to bring home. It just tastes better, the European made way. <BR>

Old May 4th, 1999, 09:14 AM
Bly

Judy - I live in a small mtn town and they have it in our grocery stores here...Look by the peanut butter. Most stores will order it if they don't already carry it. good luck <BR>

Old May 4th, 1999, 11:58 AM
Nancy

I've noticed that Nutella tastes different here, too. I always just chalked it up to the assumption that since few people buy it in the U.S., it just wasn't as fresh as the European stock. Who knows?

Old May 4th, 1999, 12:05 PM
Kavey

My bread machine has a recipe for Nutella bread which is gorgeous, it actually isn't very sweet - it just has a hint of that nutella taste. <BR> <BR>How can people from the land where pancakes, maple syrup and SAUSAGES share the same breakfast plate (yum) think chocolate spread on bread is odd? ;-)

Old May 4th, 1999, 12:21 PM
joyce

<BR>Judy: I buy mine at a restaurant serving German food. They sell German items/food as a sideline. I have seen it in gormet type grocery stores in US alsol

Old May 4th, 1999, 12:50 PM
cherie

West Coast Report: Nutella in every grocery store here, too. Usually in the section with peanut butter or gourmet goods. We love it, too. (Along with Frangelico & Mon Cherie...)

Old May 4th, 1999, 12:56 PM
Kavey

Oh Oh Mon Cheri!! <BR> <BR>You mean the Ferrero chocolates right? <BR> <BR>I am addicted - I bought about 10 boxes of 16 last trip to France and my friend just bought me back a big box from Italy. <BR> <BR>Used to be easier to get them here in UK but now hard to get, only in mixed boxes with ROcher, or in Woolworths for a week a year at Christmas... <BR> <BR>Oh YUM YUM YUM <BR> <BR>PS. If anyone can figure a way to bring me over some of that Denny's Oreo Cookie Pie, I will have your babies. Well OK I wont have your babies but I will sing your praises.

Old May 16th, 1999, 07:49 PM
judy

Nutella lovers, thanks so much for your responses...I live in a small southern town but I do get "away" to larger cities on occasion, so perhaps I can search the shelves of some larger supermarkets soon. Oh, yum, reading these posts made my craving all the worse...I should have bought some when I was in Germany, but my sanctimonious self decided I needed to diet instead. (I haven't yet!!!) So I may as well eat Nutella! <BR>