Nurnberg (Nuremberg) and Bamberg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a six day trip in December. Any thoughts about how long and where to stay in Nurnberg. I was reading about Bamberg and/or Regensburg and thought it looked more interesting than Heidelburg. We will be flying into Frankfort and wanting to use the train to go to 2 different areas with side trips. Please give ideas about these choices and where to stay and dine as well as train connections. Thank you so much.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:49 PM

I was in Nurnberg in April of 2000. I stayed at the Durer Hotel next to the Albrecht Durer house. It was a reasonable, comfortable hotel with a very extensive breakfast included. It was on the north edge of the old city center and very near the castle.

I was there 3 nights because my friend's luggage was delayed that long. I really think two nights would be enough. In addition to the castle and Durer house, we toured the Rathaus & dungeon, the toy museum, saw several churches. On the south side of the old town is a medieval "village" area. Blacksmithing, candle making and lots of stuff like that being re-enacted and the wares sold.

Lunch at the Bratwurst House next to the main plaza was excellent. Lots of little sausages, mustard and pretzels. Had a splurge dinner at "Zum Sudhouse" very near the hotel. It was expensive but very good. We were served this little bowl of extremely pale "butter" with crispy bits in it. I think it was lard with cracklin's as we'd say in the south of the US. Yum!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:30 AM

We've been to Nuremberg several times and always enjoy it; the Durer Haus merits a definite visit.
It sounds like you will be there during Christmas market time, so the city will be very busy and you should reserve rooms ASAP. You can do Bamberg as an easy day trip from Nuremberg--so you could spend three nights in Nuremberg to minimize time spent packing and unpacking. We usually stay outside the city in the small village of Kalchreuth, but you need a car for that. In the city itself, we have stayed several times at the Hotel Maritim, which is a business class hotel not too far from the train station and across the street from the old city. It's a very comfortable hotel with good service but not high on ambience. It's also the kind of hotel that we suspect may have some tour groups passing through for the Christmas market.
Re restaurants, one of the best restaurants in Nuremberg is Heilige Geist (holy ghost), a medieval hospital turned into a restaurant. Lots of atmosphere, very good food. Reservations will probably be needed during the Christmas market season.
Bamberg is beautiful and if you have snow, it should be wonderful (if you like the cold! Last year, they didn't have much snow in December, but the year before they had tons, so it's a tossup what the weather will be like this winter). Right near the heart of the old city is a store that sells wonderful hand-carved wooden ornaments, manger scenes, angels, etc.
What is the second area that you have in mind? Someplace closer to the Alps or someplace north of Frankfurt (Bremen, Muenster) or near Alsace (Baden Baden)?
Another sight to see in Nuremberg is the "wedding sculpture"--a large sculpture showing all the stages of married life, parts of it pretty funny.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:30 AM

Agree with BTilke on the need to reserve during December if Nuremberg is your destination. Nuremberg is probably the best city to use as a base for train travel to the other towns you mention.

There is quite a bit to see and do in the Nuremberg area. You didn't mention Wuerzburg, Rothenburg, or Ansbach, other well-known cities that can be reached by a daytrip from N'berg. Regensburg could be a daytrip too. Weissenburg and Eichstaett, more directly south, are great towns and can be reached by train as well.

I would hunker down in N'berg and do my best to explore that area - there really isn't enough time in 6 days - and leave other areas for another trip sometime.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:46 AM

BTilke was the Heilige Geist restaurant in the old town along the river? And did it have a big dining area with a really high wooden beamed ceiling? I think I ate there too. If it's the one I remember enjoying the dinner I had there.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:58 AM
RJD

Just a note on the Durer house. It was built well over 500 years ago, when people were shorter. if you're tall watch the door jamb height. It's about 5'5". I may still have the scar.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 07:41 AM

alexandria,

While I've not been to Nuremburg or Regensburg, the city of Bamberg certainly merits a visit. I was there for three days this summer, and it's a touristic delight.

Bamberg is beautifuly situated along the banks of the River Regnitz, and there is a good deal to see and do, not the least of which is simply strolling in the vicinity of the old town hall. Don't miss Bamberg's cathedral. Built in the 13th century, it is stunning, featuring wooden carvings, frescoes, silver and gold crowns, and a remarkable pipe organ. Next door is the Neue Residenz, which will give you a sense of what life was like for Bamberg's prince bishops.

Not far from Bamberg is a must-see site, the basilica of Vierzehnheiligen. Located in the quiet countryside, the church is nothing short of magnificent, a kind of a baroque dream. Even the most hardened atheist is sure to be inspired.

Lastly, should you stay in Bamberg, allow me to recommend a very fine accommodation, the Hotel Brudermuehle. It's centrally located, overlooking the Regnitz, is moderately priced, and offers more than an adequate amount of Old World charm. Check out: www.brudermuehle.de

Best of luck.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Indytravel, yes, your description matches that of the Heilige Geist. Definitely try the tasty Nuremberg sausages (our favorite German sausages; we're lucky there's a German grocer here in Brussels that carry them).
Beer from the Franconian (Nuremberg) area is reputed to be among the very in Germany due to the quality of the water. And one of the Franconian beers is Wolfshoher ("immer ein hochgenuss" --"always a great treat&quot. The smoked beer (Rauchbier) from Bamberg is an acquired taste, but you should try it once to see if it's up your alley.
The Nuremberg train station, FYI, has been remodeled recently (still undergoing some fine tuning). It has an Internet cafe on the mezzanine level.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 07:06 PM

Thanks BTilke!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 07:21 PM

Bamberg is a pretty town, and I second the recommendation to the basilica at Vierzehnheiligen...absolute baroque eye candy!

I found the smoked beer easier to take on the second 0,5L...I wonder why that was? Seriously, though, it isn't bad at all after a few sips...just stick with it.

One of my memories of that area is that I was travelling with my parents through the Fatherland, and my father is an aficionado of McDonald's coffee, and if I remember correctly there were some golden arches somewhere between Vierzehnheiligen and Bamberg, so we had to stop for coffee. Actually, we went through the drive-through, and I got a beer to counteract his coffee...my first McBeer! It wasn't too bad, either, as I recall.

We also stopped in the small village of Kronach as we were driving to Bamberg from Dresden...I believe it is about 50 km away, and there was an interesting fortress there, but probably not worth the drive from Bamberg just to see it. It was a good stop along the highway, though, as I recall, just for a 45-minute leg-stretcher. Vierzehnheiligen, however is worth the trip (it's about 35 km away).
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:28 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Brudermuhle in Bamberg last year. Both the hotel and the city are absolute gems. We stayed 3 nights and thought it well worthwhile. Nice Christmas market, too, not as touristy as some in more popular tour areas.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your insights. It truly has made our planning more exciting.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 05:29 AM

Amen to Bamberg. It's one of my favorites. Rothenberg is a bit of a problem by train but I'd look into bus service. Probably a piece of cake. Another thought: I suspect the train from Frankfurt to Nuremburg goes thru Wurzberg. You might consider a 3-4 hour stop there [storing luggage at station] and visit the Residenz. It's the most impressive building Ihave seen anywhere.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 08:16 AM

Alexandria,

Haven't been to Nürnberg in quite a while, but the Meridien Grand Hotel used to be the best place in town - much more atmospheric than the Maritim. The two properties are quite close to each other as I recall.

http://www.lemeridien.com/germany/nu...l_de1315.shtml

Nürnberg and Bamberg are definitely worthwhile, a day trip to Würzburg is also highly recommended IMO.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 01:41 AM

Alexandria,

Found your post while searching for some info about Regensburg. If you haven't firmed up plans yet, here's another vote for Bamberg, though Regensburg is also terrific.

Train connections should present no problems for you between the cities you mentioned, an hour or less between Nurnburg and Bamberg,Wurzburg or Rothenburg, depending on connections. Regensburg about two hours to Nurnburg and 3 to 3.5 hours Regensburg/Frankfurt airport.

Assuming you'll be flying in and out of Frankfurt, here's my imaginary itinerary:

Frankfurt Airport to Regensburg. 2 nights in Regensburg. Train to Bamburg, 2 nights. Train to Nuremburg, two nights. Early morning train to Frankfurt from Nurnburg, with four-hour stopover in Wurzburg to see the residenz and its chapel, with luggage checked at the train station.

Hotels: Regensburg - We stayed at Park Hotel Maximilian. Gorgeous, with elegant public spaces and lovely rooms,but larger and more "business-class" than we prefer. www.maximilian-hotel.de

Bamberg: the Messerchmitt - completely charming, with a renowned restaurant on site. www.hotel-messerschmitt.de

Sights: In Bamberg, in addition to previously mentioned suggestions, be sure to see the Upper Parish church, splendid baroque cozy.

Regensburg: Take the In-City bus tour to get a feel for the Altstadt and its fabulous architecture, and then just set out walking. A gorgeous city with a feeling of authentiquity, authenticity, and a life of its own independent of tourism.

Wurzburg: Do see the residenz and chapel, wonderfully elegant, baroque, but not "over-the-top" like poor Mad King Ludwig's palaces.

Rothenburg: Didn't like it. Too touristy, too "precious," too ontrived, and too small to contain the tour buses that block the narrow streets and obscure your view and access. St. Jacob's church, however, is wonderful.

So that's "all." Let us know how your trip turns out.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

We had a wonderful trip to Nurnberg. We followed many of the suggestions and felt we saw quite a bit. We were able to see the children's Christmas procession in which they actually carried lighted candles through the streets. We took trains to Bamberg, Rothenberg and Munich for day trips. We reserved dinner reservation in advance which was a good idea since December is a busy time there. Our hotel was nice.
Thank you all again.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:31 PM

I'm looking for suggestions for a place to stay in Nurnberg in December convenient to the Christmas market. Doesn't have to be 4 star, just convenient and with some character.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

We stayed at the Hotel Agneshof. (www.agneshof-nurnberg.de or email [email protected]) It was very close to the Christmas Market in the historic district. This is a smaller hotel with about 60-70 rooms. Our room included breakfast. The rooms were clean, with down blankets and a updated bathroom. The hotel isn't like a castle or charming old building but we would definitely return. We liked the staff and location. We paid 140 Euros per night.

I believe the Durer House (very old and above the restaurant) is less expensive and close by. If you are tall, I have read to be careful of the door jams.

I was told on this site to reserve early for December so I pass this info on to you.
We also reserved dinner reservations in advance which turned out to be wise. I can give you information about restaurants and side trips.

We loved our stay in Germany.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Message: It might be hard to find hotel for Christmas market season now. If you can't find hotel in Nürnberg you might consider staying in Fürth. We made this trip last year and instead of staying in Nürnberg (because we visited during opening day of Christmas market it was impossible to find hotel). We stayed in Fürth (a smaller town by Nürnberg) at Hotel Prima Vera(3 stars) The cost of double was 52 euro including a huge breakfast buffet. The hotel is old center of Fürth. Fürth has both train station and is on Nürnberg subway system. We rented a car and they have a small courtyard for parking cars. As I recall subway round trip ticket was 3 euro each into Nürnberg. I think it took about 5 minutes to get to center of Christmas market from subway. Fürth also has its own smaller Christmas market.
hotel:
http://www.hotel-primavera.de/

subway system:
http://www.vgn.de/?language=en

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM

Mu husband and I will be spending two weeks in Bamberg (in a ferienwohnung, vacation apartment, in town) in February to visit our son returning to his Bamberg US Army post after a year in Iraq. Although we will have a kitchen, I know we'll do a lot of eating at places in town. Just how large is Bamberg? Can you compare the size to an American city? I know there's an Altstadt (Old Town) that is charming; what other areas are especially nice?

ANY info is appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -