nurnberg hotel and other questions

Jun 16th, 2000, 01:44 AM
mast

nurnberg hotel and other questions

Hi!
I intend to attend the children candle procession in december. the date should be 14/12/00. how early must we reach the square to have a better view?
is there any good hotel to recommend in nurnberg?
lastly, can the town be explored by foot or do we need any public transport?

thanks and regards,

mast

Jun 17th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Glenn

Mast, I was at the parade this past December, I think that we stood for a half an hour or so before the parade. It is not overly crowded, so if you get there late you will be able to see it. The area that gets crowded is beneath the castle. The road that leads from the market square to the castle. This is where the children march by and then you can turn and watch the "Drama" that is put on just outside the castle. I can't recommend the hotel we satyed at, it was safe but not in great shape. The town can be done on foot. If you can get a hotel near one of the gates, you can walk in to the center of town in 15 mins or so. There seems to be a network of pedestrian streets that connect to the square. I do recommend the local tourist office, they were very friendly. I recommend that you try one of the famous old sausage resturants near the square. If you are not overdone from eating them on the square. The gingerbread tins are a nice gift for people to bring back. They also have the nuremburg angle (large or small, makes a nice gift or memento) let me know if I can be more help.

Jun 18th, 2000, 07:30 AM
mast

Thanks, Glenn.
I did a search back to 1998 for posts on nurnberg but was very surprise to find out that actually there wasn't any discussion on nurnbeg hotels recommendation. Do you have any idea which is a better location to stay?

Jun 18th, 2000, 07:37 PM
Glenn

Mast, I would say if you can find a hotel at a reasonable price close to the city center all the better. How will you be traveling ? We had a car, so a place with a parking lot was a concern. I know that the tourist office has a full list and will make a call for you. They can not recommend a place. We stayed at the hotrel am ring, again not too well maintaned.

Jun 18th, 2000, 08:54 PM
mast

Yes Glenn, we will be driving too.
Have you heard of the Agneshof? The guidebook said it is located near the christmas market, do you think this is a good location?

Jun 19th, 2000, 03:07 PM
Glenn

Mast, I do not know that hotel. IF it is close to the market it could be good. You don't want it outside your door, it can be very busy and overwhelming. THey also have a toy museum in the city that looked pretty good. We ran out of time to see it.