Nuremberg, Salzburg, or Heidelberg?

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nuremberg, Salzburg, or Heidelberg?

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Germany - right now its looking like it will be 3 days in Munich, 1.5 days in Nuremberg, 1 day in Rothenberg, and 1 day in Heidelberg. Now I know that many of you will tell me that this is too rushed, and that I am trying to squeeze to much in. However, I have done many trips like this, and it is my belief that if I only have a short time and it costs a lot of money to fly over to Europe (I live in Canada) then I might as well see as much as possible!

With that said, it is looking like I have an extra day to play with (not included in the above trip itinerary). Where would you spend it: Nuremberg, Salzburg, or Heidelberg? I know any of these places (or the others I am going to) all deserve a lot longer than I'm giving them, but if you HAD to pick just one place to spend an extra day, where would it be out of these 3 options?

Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

...to continue the above thought, or would you rather spend an extra day in Munich? Of the three days I have alloted, we plan on going to Dachau, and doing a daytrip to Linderhof and Neuschwanstein Castles. I figure that will leave me 1.5 days to explore the city. Is that sufficient to see the main sights? Again, I want to emphasize that I'm not looking for an indepth immersion into the city, as I just don't have time
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM

what about taking a day to go to Bamberg?
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM

I would spend the extra day in Salzburg, I love that city. You can skip Heidelberg. It's a pretty city, I live here and love it, but there isn't much to do other than see the castle remains and walk the Hauptstrasse. It's a bit touristy. I would recommend spending more time in Salzburg.
Oh, do Mike's Bike Tour in Munich. A great way to see the city quickly and spend time in a pretty beer garden too!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:45 AM

Of Ludwig's castles Herrenchiemsee is probably closer to Munich than Neuschanstein or Linderhof. It is beautiful and sits in the middle of an island. The area around it is also beautiful!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
ira

HI E,

I'd do a daytrip to Salzburg.

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM

Salzburg.
Or the castle loop.
Munich-Ettal-Oberammergau-Linderhof-Neuschwanstein-Wieskirche-Munich
Drive time of about 3.5 hrs. Purchase tickets for Neuschwanstein ahead of time. You like to be busy, and it will be a busy day. But it is doable. Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee are same drive time from Munich. I've not been to Herrenchiemsee yet so I can't say which is better.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM

We did a daytrip to Salzburg by train from Munich. It cost only 25 Euros return as long as we left after 9:00am (rush hour) and came back the same day. It was about an hour and a half train ride if I remember correctly. We had a full day in Salzburg and arrived back in Munich at 9:30pm.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM

You won't regret either the castle loop to Neuschwanstein, Oberammergau, etc OR Salzburg. Both of the areas are absolutely amazing. You will enjoy which ever one you choose.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:04 PM

I would add the extra day to Nuremberg with a half-day trip to one of the following: Bayreuth, Coburg, or Bamberg.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:27 PM

Of those cities, I have been to Nuremberg and Munich. I really liked both and so I think it would be a toss up as to where to spend the extra time. Since you aren't looking for indepth, I would say Nuremberg with a day or half day trip to Bamberg or someplace as Bird suggested.

I also second the recommendation for the Mike's Bikes tour in Munich. A lot of fun and you see a lot in a short amount of time.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:29 PM

i'd forget Heidelburg and spend that day and one other in Salzburg. I've visited it 3 times for a total of 12 days and am planning another 5 days there next year.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
MKE

I loved Heidelberg, Salzburg and Bamberg especially, but was disappointed in Nurenberg. If you decide to go to Nurenberg, then I would spend the extra day in Bamberg. If you decide to skip Nurenberg, then I would spend the extra time in Salzburg, possibly taking in the Sound of Music tour which gets you into the lovely Austrian countryside.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:39 AM

Hi Erin. We just did Munich, Salzburg, and Nuremberg last week. It was a great time! I have also been to Heidelberg a few times. Personally, I think that 3 days in Munich is sufficient. In my opinion, Heidelberg is worth the visit. If I had one extra day, I would absolutely go to Salzburg. I love it there! I have been there twice and think it is a beautiful place to visit. I love the view from the top of the castle. Each time, we rented bikes and visited the main sites on bike. I really recommend that! You can rent bikes by the train station or in the morning by the tourist office.

I hope you have a great trip! Prost!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:56 AM

I love Heidelberg (we leave close outside it), but one day there is enough time to see the 'highlights'. I would add an extra day to Salzburg, or take the castle route.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:16 AM

You can still see a lot without traveling so far - Heidelberg is okay but too far when you have so many other wonderful options nearer the core of your travel area. Bamberg is a great daytrip fron Nuremberg, Salzburg a longer but good daytrip from Munich.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
JN

I went to Europe in 2000 after a 25 year absence. My anticipated Germany highlight was Heidelberg. The actuality, however, was that Heidelberg was my least favorite stop. If you want litter filled streets, tons of students with american clothing and body piercings and no real old world atmosphere, Heidelberg's your place. If you want a touch of old world europe, I'd skip Heidelberg and add days either to Nuremberg and/or Munich, using the extra Munich day to day-trip to Salzburg. Three places to stay in your short time frame seems reasonable--you'll lose less time packing/unpacking/schlepping and hotel checking-in.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:40 AM

My two cents:

Skip Heidelberg.

Spend at least a day and maybe a night in Salzburg.

Try to see Bamberg, if you can.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:43 AM

Forgot to say...

I'd also recommend basing yourselves in Nuremberg for daytrips to Bamberg and Rothenburg. Less hotel hopping.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:36 PM

As Yogi once said about Heidelberg, " Nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -