Now that I'm back I can tell you: What to wear in Rome to fit in

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the countless threads on this board about "what to wear in Rome to fit in", now that I've been, I can give you the definitive answers. Here goes:

Wear a religious habit. If you're dressing as a priest or monk, carry a tired, cloth brief case. Ladies, no make up, please.

Guys, if you have a pair of solid colored red, yellow or green slacks that your wife won't let you wear in the US, bring them to Italy. Seriously!

Only Americans wear golf shirts and khakis.

I saw no Italian WOMEN wearing capri pants, but saw lots of Italian, French and British MEN wearing capris.

Men, wear a suit, talk on your cell phone and smoke.

Ladies, wear spike heels. Seriously, the only people I saw walking on tip toe on the cobblestones were Italian women in their stylish shoes.

Don't be overweight.

Wear stylish jeans.

Be white. This is a serious question: Why are all the Italians in Rome Caucasian? There were Africans selling knock off purses, a few Middle Eastern cab drivers, and a few religious folks of various races, but other than that, all the Italians in Rome were white. Why is that? It wasn't the case in Florence or Venice, but it sure was in Rome.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Funny post!

I wondered myself how the women walked in high heels on those cobblestones in Italy....I have a hard enough time wearing them at home!

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM

missypie: I agree with you on most points, but would expand that to all of Italy.

Except for the stiletto heels. That's all over continental Europe, particularly Spain and Italy.

And the makeup. The young women in Italy, and all of Europe, are very well made up and quite polished.

Hm...were you hanging out at St. Peters too much?
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:33 AM

"If you're dressing as a priest or monk, carry a tired, cloth brief case." - cool, my haloween costume doesn't have to collect dust all year 'round!

Nuts, now I have to throw out all my golf shirts for my trip. I guess I will bring out my short sleeve Ralph Lauren shirts.
Original Poster

I meant no makeup if you are in a nun's habit.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:34 AM

The differences are amazing!

Do the women wear a lot of skirts/dresses? Should my husband pack mostly shrits instead of T-Shrits? Of course Soccer shrits will have to be in his bag!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

If your husband is 19, he can get by with t-shirts. If not, he should wear a woven shirt with a collar. To truly fit in (not that I'm recommending it) he should wear a tie.

Yes, lots of skirts and dresses, even among female motor cycle/scooter riders.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM

I noticed the same thing about the Italian woman and their stillettos on the cobblestone when I was there. It amazed me. This IS a funny post.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:45 AM

How did you know the nationality or region of the people you saw in Roma? Roma gets visitors from all over Italy, the same way Washington, D.C. gets visiors from all over the U.S. Just because you heard someone speaking Italian doesn't mean they were Roman.

I totally disagree about golf shirts on American men. You have obviously never been to Japan, where golf is BIG!! You also see many Italian men of Capri wearing golf shirts.

Why do you see so many "white" Romans? Because Italy has a very stringent anti-immigration policy.

Handmaiden of Th--
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

I figured they had strict immigration laws. But in Florence, there were quite a few people living in the neighborhood of our apartment who appeared to be of Middle Eastern and North African descent. (The manager of our apartment was Morrocan.) In Venice we saw a whole rainbow of folks working in the stores, restaurants and hotels. But in Rome, after a few days, we realized that except for the tourists, all the faces were white. Is it that way in the suburbs, or just in the center of town?

While in Italy, I thought about how I couldn't tell who was "from there" vs. Italian tourists. I wondered if foreign visitors to NYC can tell the "real New Yorkers" versus the rest of us who wear white pants and jogging suits and visit NYC from the hinderlands of the US.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Interesting post. To be honest I never understand the whole "what to wear" questions. I usually wear things similar to what I wear at home and never feel out of place. Sure, I leave the white tennies at home, and I don't wear logo shirts, but otherwise I don't concern myself with wardrobe thoughts too much. Rome is a big, popular city filled with tourists, so you will see all different types of outfits. I think it would be hard to really look out of place.

Tracy
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Oh goody! My husband is thin...I'm thin.
He can borrow my capri pants and totally blend in and I can go shopping for all new clothes!!! Yippeee!!!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM

I wonder what Muffin would have to say about all this?
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM

And those stilleto heels have l-o-o-ong pointy toes. The better to catch between the cobblestones! I saw a lot of those pointy toes in Venice on the vaporettos and thought maybe they would come in handy to stab other commuters in the leg so you could get some space.
Missypie just forgot one thing--they are still wearing SCARVES in Rome. Did not see as many in the other cities, but in Rome--long scarves wrapped around and around and around the neck. What are these women hiding?

Vera
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

You're right about the scarves. I wore one in Paris, but thought that in May/June, there would be no need to wear one. Wrong....lots of scarves still.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM
ira

>...all the Italians in Rome were white. Why is that? <

A. all the Moors moved to Venice

B. they spend too much time in church and don't get enough sun

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Missypie,

You are great! Loved your observations. I think I will fit in well in Rome - after all, we Brazilians sort of dress like the Italians (except that we shave our legs and armpits, and do wear deodorant...).
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Personally, I'm glad that shaving legs hasn't caught on with the Brazil World Cup team yet.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Brazilnut...I believe that you're mistaking the Italians with the French

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -