Now I am fretting about plane connection: Nice-Amsterdam-US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh- At the time the price was great, and I was very happy to be able to fly non-stop back to my US airport from Amsterdam this summer. Now as I gather documents together I am having doubts. The Nice-Amsterdam leg is KLM, as is Amsterdam-US. But there is only one hour in between "arrival" and departure, with of course needing time to actually get off the plane and get to the US bound flight? Of course I realize the Nice flight can be late, also....etc, etc. It's been years since I've been at the Amsterdam airport- can you tell me if my "buyer's remorse" is needless, due to that airport configuration? If I have to take a shuttle to another terminal, or....I will call the airline and start fixing my mistake! I will not have any luggage- I always take only a carry- on bag. Thank you, Fodor experts!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:57 PM

Amsterdam is a pretty easy airport to use - lots of moving walkways to speed you along, and it's well signed.

Not checking luggage is a help, as is the KLM to KLM connection.

An hour is tight (and I'm a nervous nellie about connection times) but I wouldn't change now - especially if you'll pay a penalty to do so.

If you do misconnect, remember that it's a busy airport and probably only a few hours before they can get you on another plane. Worst case, you stay in Amsterdam overnight. That's not really a disaster.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:29 AM

I honestly think you can make that change at Schiphol without problems for the reasons stated above.

However, I'm not sure I understand what not checking luggage has to do with your own ability to make a connection.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM

You're right Dukey.

I meant (but didn't write) that not checking luggage means you don't have to worry about IT not making the connection.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reassurance! I am usually obsessive about enough time for connections and try to allow three hours...at the time my other option meant leaving Nice at 7 in the morning for the same flight back to the US! That would've been 5-6 hours...but...I had my lapse of judgement that caused me to write. Well, the news about the efficiency of the airport is encouraging. Since I am on my way home, I suppose "having" to spend another day, worst case scenario, in Europe is very different than missing a day on the way there!
Dukey: About the luggage question: in Italy, anyway, flying from Sicily to Rome and then Rome-home, folks had to recollect their bags for customs or security (can't remember which?), and I made my connecting flight only because with just a carry-on I didn't have to wait around for my luggage and re-check it. ??? That was also using the same airline company for both flights. So I assumed I would have to do that this time, with KLM/Northwest. So- am I wrong? I can just go straight to the gate for the international flight I'm connecting to without going through security again? That would cheer me up! Thank you again!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Is your AMS/US flight KLM or NWA? I had a similar connection with 2 hours and my KLM flight was late. We had to run all the way to our gate and it sure wasn't close. All of my KLM flights that trip were late.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, kybourbon! The Amsterdam-US leg will be NWA, the Nice-Amsterdam is KLM"Cityhopper". When I went online to check earlier options (haven't looked since purchasing the tickets months ago), aside from the nice news that the cost has gone up by 600$, was that some of the other options listed actually showed under an hour for the connection: repeatedly 55 minutes at a variety of European airports, including CDG! All of a sudden my 1hr10 minutes looked luxurious!!! I am wondering if I might try to fly stand by the day of the flghts home, and take the much earlier flight. It will be just me. ???? The other thing that is confusing is how short all these connection times are in Europe. Is it just the US that has a legal limit between flights? Thank you!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Since all is ticketed on the same airline, you don't need to worry so much about the connection. If the airline misconnects you, it's their responsibility to get you home.