Reload this Page >

Nov 2001 trip- help!

Search

Nov 2001 trip- help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 12:02 PM
rebecca johnson

Nov 2001 trip- help!

Hello- <BR>I'm off to Ireland Fly -&gt; drive deal. <BR>We upgraded to "town and Country" (not for the private bath but more choices). We're going to do Galway, Dingle and Dublin for sure. <BR>I've read almost all of the posts here but I did want to ask a couple questions. <BR>I'd really like to stay in a small town-but one with a pub and place to eat(and maybe some traditional music). <BR>Any one have a favorite small town to stay in? <BR>Should I expect pubs and the like to close early in November?? <BR>Also I'm thinking of one night staying in a castle instead of a B & B. Can I expect any decent off season rates? Any one have a favorite? <BR> <BR>ANY info that might help would me great! <BR>Thanks so much! <BR>Rebecca <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Topper

Topping for Rebecca.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 03:35 PM
amy

Hi, I'm doing the same thing in late Oct.When I tried for a castle the only one I could find that was affordable in the areas I was going to (Shannon area Co. Clare, Tipperary, and Kilkenny)was Carrigeen Castle in Cahir.I dont know if they will accept my voucher so plan on paying for it myself.Even the off-season rates at most castles are pretty expensive.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 04:15 PM
mikey

Amy, <BR> <BR>Just to let you know that carrigeen castle was built as a jail to look like a castle and not an actual castle. <BR> <BR>Rebecca, <BR>A lot of B&B's and stuff are closed for the off season in Novemeber and a lot of things close down as well especially with the even bigger decrease in tourists this year. I would stick to the "larger" smaller towns like Dingle town, Kenmare, Clifton, Westport etc. for things to be happening especially if you want music. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 04:47 PM
amy

Hi Mikey.Yea, I know.They have a pretty good web site about the history of the place.I love reading about the historical aspect of my travels, that is one of the main reasons I am interested in travelling.The current owners are a family who have been in residence for almost a hundred years.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Patrick

From what you mention, I'd suggest a stay in Doolin, at least for a night or two. It is also a perfect base for the short trip out to the barren and beautiful Aran Islands. Doolin is known for its small pubs and being one of the true bastions of Irish pub music. There is a great "country" house right on the edge of this little town, which seemed to be the least tourist "infested" village we saw in Ireland. It's not a castle, but a rather upscale and beautiful place to stay. Our room was in converted stables. If you are interested I will look it up for you. I think it is called "Hill House" or something similar.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 12:30 AM
Mick

Hi There Rebecca <BR> <BR>Stayed at carigeen castle in August of 2000. It has gone down in family history as the "Home of the Shower Nazi." The lady who runs the joint is one bossy old bat. <BR> <BR>Cahir is a nice town, but I (for one) wouldn't be staying with the Shower Nazi again. <BR> <BR>All the best <BR> <BR>Mick <BR>www.dfaguide.com

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 05:33 AM
Lynn

I have to know why she is called the Shower Nazi, like the soup Nazi on Seinfeld?? Please give more detail!! I know it is not very helpful to Rebecca, but my topping the post might help get more answers for her?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 06:03 AM
amy

I am in for an ugly surprise,no?Whats up?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Alex

Rebecca, <BR>I loved Galway when I was there, so much that I stayed for 4 months. The Salt Hill area just over the Corrib bridge is great. there is a pub there called the Roisin Dubh they usually have great sessions in the evenings, I was a bit disappointed that most of the pubs are getting that "super pub" mentality with big screen TV's and the like, but there are still some great places even just off of Eyre Square,and in the Square you have the "Skeff" Skeffington Arms Pub and Hotel. <BR>Also it is a hop skip and jump from the Aran Islands. <BR>The B&B's on the Salt Hill side are also less expensive from what I remember. Hope this helps as far as visiting Galway.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 03:46 PM
rebecca

Thanks so much for the great info, everyone. And I didn't know what "topping" was but I know now and love it. Thanks!!! <BR>I love this board!

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 05:17 PM
tom

Please include in your mid-country travel plans: Clifden & Sky Road, Clonmacnoise, and the Burren of course. Time permitting head up to Sligo - it's beautiful and history (from 4000 BC) abounds everywhere. As far as Dublin goes, it's somewhat cosmopolitan and a change of pace from the rest of Ireland. I'd devote 2 days at most to this city.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Kieran

Rebecca, <BR>Pubs never close.... Since Sept 11th there are more & more special deals available here in Ireland since tourist numbers are down. Have a good trip. <BR>Kieran.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:22 AM
Pat

Rebecca: <BR>We were in Ireland in June. We just loved Kinsale!! It is a quaint little town with great pubs. The shopping is wonderful and you just need to walk. There is a hotel in the heart of the town, but also B&B just right up the hill from the town. Doolin is nice, but we liked Kinsale better. <BR>Enjoy your trip