Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nov.11, Armistice Day Paris events? Big celebration or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the title covers the question. Is there a parade,...are stores and restaurants closed? Will the city be crowded.? I have heard it is a big event in Paris. What about the rest of France? Perhaps someone who lives in Paris knows the answer OR someone who has been there on Nov. 11. THanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:57 AM

It is a public holiday in France. Businesses and schools are closed and they do have parades and such. Some restaurants and stores may be open, but not all.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 12:05 PM

I was there on Armistice day in 2000, there is a small military parade and commemoration at the Unknown Soldiers Tomb, like a federal holiday here in the states.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM

We were there in 1994, the 50th anniversary. The celebrations were very moving, serious and thoughtful, not just partying; it was a special time to be in Paris. We got some great pictures. I would bet that this year's celebrations should also be quite good.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 06:47 PM

BTilke is obviously not a historian. Armistice Day celebrates the armistice signed on November 11, 1918 for The Great War (World War I). The Treaty of Versailles ending the war wasn't signed until June 28, 1919.

If you check the website at the end there is an excellent photo of the parade looking toward the Arc de Triumphe. It is definitely not a small parade.

In 2001 we watched the parade from in front of the striding De Gaulle statue at Place Clemenceau where the Royal Horseguards assembled to accompany Jacques Chirac to the ceremony at the Arc. The marchers returned down the Champs Elysees but turned off at Ave Franklin Roosevelt (a disappointment) while Chirac and the Horseguards returned to lay wreaths at the statue of Clemenceau. Quite moving.

http://www.paris.world-guides.com/events.html

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 12:38 AM

Thank you for the very polite correction, jsmith. It was indeed Armistice Day from WW I, but in fact, while we were there, they were also linking that event with commemorations to WW II. We watched and listened to the speeches and there was a strong emphasis on WW II with many references to "50 years ago".
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 05:00 AM

As I recall along with May 8th, it's only one of two days each year the giant French flag hangs under the Arc de Triomphe.