notre dame cathedral

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 06:53 AM
michael

notre dame cathedral

i am going to paris in the beginning of may with my fiance and we wanted to have get married in the notre dame cathedral. just the two of us, no guests.is there anyone i could contact to see if a priest would marry us in the cathedral while we are there? i am a graduate of the university of notre dame and would find it very special to get married in the cathedral.

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 07:18 AM
PJ

I met a couple from Chicago who were married in France last fall. All they said was that it was very complicated to get married out of the country, and they ended up getting married at the U.S. Embassy in Paris. From their perspective it was the only option for a legally binding ceremony. Of course, maybe you want to do the legal part elsewhere and just have the religious part there if possible. If you'd like to e-mail me directly, perhaps I can put you in touch with this person just to find out what he went through in his planning.

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 08:29 AM
francesca

Your request is so romantic. I hate to discourage you but the idea of Notre Dame with no one else in it...!!!! It is always packed with people. It is a public place. Even during my wedding (in a church, in France) there were several people visiting the church and even who sat down for the service--since a church is a public place one can't keep people out. And certainly not out of one of Paris' top tourist attractions! Helas, I fear your hope cannot be granted! But you can try writing to Cardinal Lustiger...good luck and congratulations!

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 08:31 AM
francesca

Sorry, I see I misunderstood your request! In any case, it may be hard to get married in France if you are not a resident. The U.S. Embassy here publishes several documents about it; contact them and they can inform you.

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 02:40 PM
christina

You can't, you're not a French resident (which requires 40 days of living there and it's already 4/21. Also, to get a parish priest to marry you, you should be a member of that parish; maybe your local priests are casual about that, but I know Catholics who have to attend classes for a while (premarital counseling or something), have bans read, etc. just to get married in their own parish in the US, I thought that was the rule in the Catholic Church nowadays. If you really want to elope, try Switzerland, I don't believe they have a residency requirement and they probably have a church somewhere named Notre Dame. If you have lots of money (but you don't have any time, anyway), I think you can hire a wedding planner at an expensive hotel in Paris who can try to arrange these things over time, I believe that's what movie stars do whom you hear about getting married in Paris (but I don't think their marriages are necessarily legal, maybe just ceremonial for show).

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 12:29 PM
pj

Xman already knows this from a separate e-mail message, but for anyone else reading this topic, I will correct my earlier message. The couple did not get married at the U.S. Embassy. They had a civil ceremony in the U.S. then a few days later traveled to France with their marriage license in hand, and had arranged for a religious ceremony at the American Church of Paris.