Reload this Page >

Norwegian coastal ferry - what to expect

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 02:23 PM
Jean

<BR>We are booked on the Narvik for 3 nights in July - inside cabin. What are meals like? Cost? Weather? What can a 50-something couple, reasonably adventurous but not party-animals, expect?

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 08:36 PM
Arizona

My wife and I went from Bergen north past the North Cape to Kirkenes on the "Polarlys" last August. This is known as the Hurtigruten run and operated by Bergen Lines. Good food, very comfortable cabin, lots to see along the way. You make stops much as a bus would, taking on and discharging freight and passengers. Very informal, very relaxed. Since we booked the passage as part of a tour, we elected to take several shore excursions. Ship then was about two years old, immaculate, with good housekeeping above and below decks. Heartily recommend. If you have further questions, contact us by e-mail directly.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 09:06 PM
Dayle

My retired parents did the same trip when the ship was brand new a couple years ago. They loved it! The only problem was for my mother, who is a VERY light sleeper. When the ferry docked at night it would wake her. Other than that they had a wonderful time in every way. <BR>

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 01:19 AM
Nils

The prices in Norway in general are relatively high. <BR>Alcohol is relatively most expensive. <BR> <BR>The weather in Northern Norway is very variable. On the coast there often is fog and a little rain. But you also can have fine weather.I hope so, because the midnight sun is really extraordinary. The day temperature varies between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. (10 and 20 degrees). In inland (Narvik) it usually is a little warmer. <BR> <BR>Have a nice trip! <BR> <BR>Nils

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 02:41 PM
GB

HI, Left Kirkenes May 21 arrived Bergen May 26. Weather is just a matter of luck much like the Pacific Norhtwest of the U.S. The meals were included in the price of the stateroom. Remember you will be on a small cruise ship not like the OLD boat I was on. Food great it was the best boat trip I have taken. Good or bad weather you will have fun! Inside cabin smart move for you will be out and around most of the time. The people on my trip and I am sure on most of these are not your average "Carnival" cruise people. I am 62, so don't worry you will have fun and by the way I spent May in Finland and Norway so if I can help let me know. I will be closing down in four days.