Norway - Sweden late April early May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are picking up a new Volvo in Gothenburg in late April (free plane tickets and hotel) and then planning on driving into Norway, visiting Oslo, Bergen, the Fjord country, etc. for a couple of weeks, then we get a 3 day flight / hotel deal in Rome as part of the "winter special." I am curious about the availability of many of the tours (NIN for example) and the roads across Norway that time of year. We've always dreamed of visting the area, but usually imagined the summer, but the deal was too good to pass up! I'm also looking for inexpensive (relatively) lodging in the west, since we have found a good B&B in Oslo for an acceptable price. Any tips, help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Snow in he mountains, roads should be without. Weather could be anything, not unusual with warm days and cold nights. check visitbergen.com for lodgings, there are apartments to have, also B&Bs. out of season so no problems with tickets on public transports, like nutshell
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM

No problems with roads between Oslo and Bergen (fjords) in late april. Snow are gone in march. 4 different roads to chose ( all of them about the same in lenght) 450 km, and driving from Oslo to Bergen in one takes 7-8 hours. Most beautiful trip is over "Hardangervidda" road nr.7 (Called: RV7) Inclueds a 20 min ferry over the Hardangerfjord. Ferry runs 24/7.
Bergen has everything from five star luxery hotels to YMCA.

Geir
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM

I beg to disagree with Geir about driving from Oslo to Bergen. It is one thing if you drive this road frequently and in a car with which you are familiar. It is quite another if this is your first time in a new car.

I picked up a new Volvo in 1985 and drove to Bergen from Oslo. The problem <u>for me</u> was that the road was quite narrow and twists and winds around the mountains. It also has multiple tunnels that were also narrow. With a new and unfamiliar car it was a <u>tense</u> ride, to say the least.

On a subsequent trip, we took the train in both directions and were able to relax and see all the spectacular scenery.

On another subject, we also picked up a new S-80 this last October. You may be interested in this web site &lt;http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeroforum?id=55&gt;.
Gothenburg is a beautiful, but compact city and is worth a look. I also have two good restaurant recommendations there:

Cyrano is a delightful provincial French restaurant that combines superb quality with great value. In fact, the latest edition of Fodor's Scandinavia lists Cyrano as only one of two &quot;Fodor's Picks&quot; in the entire city. Hence, my initial interest in it. They are located at Prinsgatan 7 and the phone number is 031-14 31 10. It is easily accessible via tram #6, and is only about 1 1/2 blocks from the Prinsgatan stop. Be aware that this place is very popular with the locals and reservations are not taken. We were advised (correctly) to get there before 6 P.M. or after 9 P.M. for the best chances of getting a table.

A second little restaurant find was K&auml;llarkrogen at &Ouml;stra Larmgatan 20. The phone is 031-711 85 40 and their web site is &lt;www.kallarkrogen.com&gt;.If you are staying at the Radisson SAS Scandinavia Hotel, it is about a 5 minute walk or three short blocks from the hotel and very easy to find. The restaurant is located in a basement. Be sure to get there before 6:30 P.M. M-Th or 10 P.M. on Fridays for some good specials not listed on the regular menu.

Old Mar 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM

good tips.thanks to all of you
if the road is indeed so winding then im not up for a tense drive so the rail might be an option for us afterall
we are going next year in late may/ june 2009
have taken note of the restaurants..might be up for a decent feed after russia!