Norway Itinerary Help

Old Apr 5th, 2022, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway Itinerary Help

Hello!

I'm planning a trip to Norway at the end of this month for 8 nights for my mom's bitrthday. I realize how little time there is left, but just wanted to get some opinions on how we should organize the trip. It will be both of our first times to Norway and both of us really wanna see Bergen and some fjords, maybe Alesund but not sure how long to spend in each place and which places are must see. We were planning on driving but now realize that it could still be snowy/icy, so maybe flying and taking the train would work best. We fly into Oslo at 6:45pm from Seattle and basically have 8 nights and 7 full days before flying back out of Oslo. We considered flying directly to either Bergen or wherever else we wanted to go as soon as we land in Oslo so we're there the next morning. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 01:17 PM

Consider taking the Norway in a Nutshell tour from Oslo to Bergen. That's how we're getting from one city to the other on our upcoming trip. It makes for a very long day (late evening arrival in Bergen), but from everything that I read, it's a bucket-list kind of excursion. If the single-day schedule is too ambitious for you, it's possible to break it up and stay in one of the towns along the way.

Last edited by RaymondLuxuryYacht; Apr 5th, 2022 at 01:29 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RaymondLuxuryYacht
Consider taking the Norway in a Nutshell tour from Oslo to Bergen. That's how we're getting from one city to the other on our upcoming trip. It makes for a very long day (late evening arrival in Bergen), but from everything that I read, it's a bucket-list kind of excursion. If the single-day schedule is too ambitious for you, it's possible to break it up and stay in one of the towns along the way.
That looks great! I think we'll definitely do that. Takes away a lot of the planning required to see all those places ourselves... One quick question, do you think we should stay the recommended 3:30ish hrs in voss? Or take one of the earlier trains?
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RaymondLuxuryYacht
Would you also recommend staying a night in any of the places along the way? Or just take the trip as it is?
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 09:05 PM

We drove for a short week from Bergen to Tronheim, but in June. In one instance, the two hotels had just opened their door for the season. I agree that driving is a less desirable option. However, a friend of mine has gone to Norway mutliple times, and he did all his travel by bus. Except for train lines going from Oslo to the large towns, I think that trains are limited if the fjord area is the basic interest. But it might be feasible by public bus. I am not familiar with the bus lines, but I imagine a possibility would be Bergen-Geiranger-Alesund-Kristiansund-Trondheim. It would require checking bus rouites and making sure, by reservation, that accommodations are available in places like Geiranger.

https://flic.kr/p/7qoBjT https://flic.kr/p/7qoGix
https://flic.kr/p/7qoHsX https://flic.kr/p/7qsGsd
https://flic.kr/p/7qsHyG
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by lhenry
That looks great! I think we'll definitely do that. Takes away a lot of the planning required to see all those places ourselves... One quick question, do you think we should stay the recommended 3:30ish hrs in voss? Or take one of the earlier trains?
We have not been to Norway, and our visit this summer will be our first. So I can't make a recommendation about staying shorter or longer time in Voss or staying overnight along the way.

We are opting for a shorter layover in Voss (earliest train possible onward to Bergen) to avoid arriving super late.