Reload this Page >

Norway: is the wildlife dangerous?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 06:04 AM
Jan

Going to be staying in Scandinavia over New Year and have rented a type of cabin fairly near to to Hammerfest (Norway) One thing that concerns ush both is how far down the wildlife may roam. Being out in the country we do have some concern about wandering polar bears for example. Can anyone help with any precautions we should take?

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 06:15 AM
Fritz-Markus

NO POLAR BEARS IN NORWAY!!! In Europe you will only find them in Switzerland at an altitude of above 1300 meters!!

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 07:17 AM
lola

The most dangerous wildlife will probably be a hungover Norwegian on a long walk. Have a wonderful time, and be sure to have some aspirin on hand for precaution....

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 07:26 PM
Cheryl

Don't know where Hammerfest is, but the polar bear idea seems a bit contrived. Usually it's moose you'd be worried about. I cycled parts of Norway last year (along w/Sweden and Finland) and in 6 weeks, wasn't even lucky enough to see a moose, even tho all those road signs promised I would!

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 08:09 PM
Al

I've been to Hammerfest, and I can tell you that the worst wildlife you will encounter will be a group of guys wearing hats with horns and are filled with aquavit as antifreeze. Man, does it ever get cold up there!!!

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 11:21 PM
Kaja

Hi, <BR> <BR>Are you serious? I will answer this as if you are. Actually there are polar bears in Norway, but not at the mainland. They will be found farther north (Svalbard). <BR>You need not to worry about the wildlife. In the region you are visiting you will find most reindeer. <BR>What you should be worrying about is the temperatures if you are going to stay outside most of the time. Bring warm clothes and you will be OK. <BR>I also hope you realize that there is not much daylight at this time of the year. You will hardly see the sun, but there are a lot of opportunities to see the northern lighs....... <BR>Kaja

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 01:59 AM
Nina

Like the post above said, there are polar bears in Norway. I read in the paper this morning that some Christmas shoppers in Longyearbyen (Svalbard)had to take cover yesterday when a polar bear (which was not part of the Christmas decorations) walked through town, past the daycare centre and through the shopping centre. Apperently it had to be chased out of town in to the wilderness by helicopters. Polar bears are actually protected animals and you are not allowed to shoot them, (only in self defence!). Since this made it to the papers (in Sweden), I assume that it is rather unusal.

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 10:57 AM
elvira

Great, Sven Polar Bear makes his first venture out to Christmas shop (instead of waiting until midnight Christmas Eve and hitting Walgreen's) and everyone runs in horror. No wonder males don't like to shop. <BR>I understand there's a real danger from wandering bands of Jewish grandmothers in search of good smoked salmon, though.

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 08:39 AM
rand

This thread reminds me of the 'dear' on the train from Canterbury to London who upon finding out we were from Canada asked me seriously if I kept a rifle in the house to defend us from attacking wolves. I assumed she had been watching to much National Geographic on the telly.

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 12:48 PM
pam

If you cover yourselves with white washcloths, the polar bears won't be able to see you against the snow. (If you use pale green washcloths, the bears may hug you, mistaking you for long-lost cousin Bjorn who normally resides in the San Antonio Zoo.)

Old Dec 26th, 1999, 10:16 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR) some say lutefisk can be deadly, but since one can smell it a mile away, one would have plenty of time to escape. (sorry, couldn't resist, 'cause I'm a Norwegian who grew up on this stuff every holiday in North Dakota - no escaping - so I'm entitled to poke fun!