Norway in Nutshell~Breakdown is the itinerary for roundtrip~oslo to Bergen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone~ I will be traveling to Oslo in July. I will be with one teen, 3 adults (55y plus) We will be staying with family in Oslo. I would like to take the Norway in a Nutshell tour from Oslo to bergen--Should I make a round trip?? Should I spend the night in Bergen? I tried to fint the exact time frame for the itinerary--the website is difficult to understand and i searched this website but did not find an exact time-line of events--Can anyone break down the trip for me?? Also, what is the cost? per person?? Thanks in advance!!!!!! Ladybug
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 08:01 AM

I typed a nice long response, and it was lost when I hit the wrong key, so email me if you want more info. I will abbreviate here.
We did the trip last summer. Made reservations on the phone. Leave Oslo at 8am or so. First few hours, not much scenery, so read or sleep.
It is a long day until getting to Bergen, but not terrible or grueling. Bergen is beautiful, stay a few days if you can.
If I did it over, I would stay at the Stalheim hotel, instead of getting all the way to Bergen in one day. Once you get off the ship, make sure you catch one of the busses that stops at the Stalheim before getting back to the main rail line. The views on that short bus trip are the best of the whole day. Would have been great to stop there (about 3pm) have a nice dinner, and sit out and enjoy some specatular scenery. Then get to Bergen the next day.
[email protected]
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the respnse! I will email you~Ladybug
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 12:16 PM

We went on the Nutshell day trip last year about the same time, from Oslo to Bergen. It is indeed a long day but beautiful scenery (don't have the particulars at hand about the train-electric tram-boat-bus trip). As senior travelers we were with Grand Circle Travel.

Of course you will make a round trip if you return to Oslo, but surely do some sightseeing first. Bergen we found was an enjoyable four days. You can locate our trip itinerary by clicking onto Ozarksbill and looking for something on Scandinavia.

Wonder if the summer will be as warm as it was last year. The men were in shorts and we had little rain.

Bill Longman, Missouri [email protected]
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Actually, my report is on #63 on Ozarksbill down at the bottom. Also you'll find some discussion of Scandinavian society and such as well.
Good luck.
Bill
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies--Does anyone know how much this adventure is? In US dollars??Ladybug
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Ladybug:
One way trip from Oslo or Bergen ending up in Bergen or Oslo 1065,- NOK per person, children under 15 years half price. After reading their webpage it seems you can make any stop you like and then continue the trip later. A roundtrip from Oslo costs 1735,- NOK with a nighttrain back from Bergen to Oslo (I suppose it would cost the same here as well if you spend a few nights in Bergen before going back, but I'm not sure about that).

Cobos