Norway in mid September

Search

Norway in mid September

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway in mid September

My husband and I will be traveling to Oslo in September for a meeting. We will have our 3 children (ages 6, 8, 10) who are good travelers. We have 11 days for traveling. My husband would prefer to drive rather than take buses. Are there sites we mustn't miss? Should we stay in Norway only?
We are coming from a small fishing village in Nova Scotia Canada. Beside the Museums in Oslo, we would prefer to see scenery, learn some history, go for walks, and avoid bustle. Nightlife and fine dining are not for us at this time. Thanks for any information.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:36 AM

You could certainly spend 11 days in Norway, but it depends a bit on how much you like to move during your vacation. May I ask what kind of history you would be interested in (i.e. what time) ? September is a pretty relaxed time in Oslo at least and possibly good weather as well.
Do bring waterproof clothing/umbrella as september might be very rainy, but it might also be pretty sunny with "warm" days and colder nights (warm defined as around 15C). I can always try to make more suggestions, but I'd need some more information first.. Would you f. inst. be interested in trips in forests or in the mountains ? Do you like outdoor life or city-life ? etc etc.

Sindre
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. The trip is a bit later than I originally thought. We will be arriving Sept 24 and leaving Oct 8.

We would certainly enjoy the Viking history, museums and art galleries. Being from rural Canada, we love the outdoors, biking, hiking, kayaking,canoeing. My 6 year old girl has good stamina for her age, but she is the limiting factor for the rest of us.

We also enjoy beautiful scenery-we will probably take the "nutshell" trip.

We have a friend who is lending us a cabin for a week in Gala (middle of Norway). This could be a home base for day trips. It seems like it is not close to anywhere else in the guidebook, but there may be good hiking in that area.

We have 4 days in Oslo-where I will be having my meeting. We need 2 days of inexpensive accommodation in Oslo (the business trip covers 2 days at Holmenkollen Park Hotel Rica, but I probably can't afford to stay there on my own budget). As we travel, we will either have to camp-is it too cold? or find cheap lodging along the way.

Thanks for the suggestion about raingear. I should also bring layers of warmer clothes. Do you think that rain boots, rather than winter boots will be OK for the children?

Would NOK be better than EURO?

I appreciate your time and suggestions. Anneka
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:24 AM

You are definately in the autumn season then Layers and water-resistant clothing would be a good idea then. Yes rain boots works nicely for children though on cold days they might want some wollen socks in them for warmth.
Gala ? where is that ? (what is the closest city to that ?)
Most cabins have good hiking options around it, after all there are hardly any people in Norway (average population density is 13 people per square kilometer, and the "big" cities account for most of those people
For cheap lodging in Oslo check out this page: http://www.unginfo.oslo.no/useit/ it's intended for youths but should work for any on a budget.

You can always camp... after all there is a saying in Norway that says: "There are no bad weather, only bad clothes" But what you should keep in mind is that september and october can get both cold and wet so if you want to camp make sure you get a good sleeping bag rated for appropriate cold weather. And of course basic common sense not to set up your tent in the bottom of a ditch etc.
You would need NOK for almost everything, a very select few places takes Euro (and then mostly in touristy places) so get yourself crowns.
When it comes to Museums in Oslo my favorites are Kon-Tiki -, Fram -, Viking - and the Folk museum at the Bygdøy peninsula, National Gallery and Historical Museums on each side of Tullinløkka (behind the old University building), and some of the museums inside the Botanical gardens (zoological and geological) right outside Tøyen subway station. And at the top of the hill there is Tøyen-badet, Oslo's largest indoor pool which might be interesting for the kids (though it's in a sad state right now).

Hope this gives you some more input to work with. And just keep the questions coming (as a student I know a few budget tricks f. inst.

Cobos
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice about clothing and museums. Gala is 18 km from Vinstra. I hope that we will find some hikes in this area.

We are so excited about this trip. There is a special connection with our town: Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, and Norway. During WWII there were Norwegian fishermen who were trapped here because of blockades. They formed a militia here at "Camp Norway" Many Norwegian men married local girls. The alliance remains strong. Last year the king and queen of Norway visited here. My children were quite enthralled. Our town is only 2500 people, so it was quite an honor.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:59 AM

If WW2 history is something you find interesting I would definately make a visit to the Norwegian Resistance Museum. It's inside the Akershus Fortress (the one overlooking Oslo harbor) which also happens to be a good place for a picnic or just strolling around if the weather permits (the fortress not the museum . And some of the citites further down the Oslofjord might make good daytrips as well, there you'll learn about the sinking of Blucher around the Drøbak area f. inst. You might even do a quick walk through the army/defense museum for the WW2 exhibit which is also at Akershus Fortress (though on the other side of the fortress).
If you've got any other questions feel free to ask.

Sindre
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:12 AM

The only thing I'd add to the advice so far is:

1) Try a high-speed ferry trip through the fjords - fun & scenic - very fast boats!

2) Plan on eating from grocery store deli counters most of the time - esp w/3 kids & a budget. Dining out is very expensive over there. We packed some travel utensils, etc in our packs and were glad we did - all but 3 meals in 2 weeks (except breakfasts) were picnic style. A price check: The cheapest McD's value meal (about, what $4 in US?) was about $10 in Oslo. I'm not suggesting that you do, or should, eat at McD's, but it is a reasonable 'cheap food' reference point. Our best deals & meals were just random selections at the store, supplemented by hot things at full service counters. The 7-11 chain over there had a great morning special of a giant coffee and a muffin for about $2.50. If your hotel offers a breakfast buffet, take it.

3) Trains are a great way to travel there, and in-country airlines can sometimes get you to the far reaches of the country without blowing lots of time in a car. The speedlimit is low, gas is expensive. Wideroe & Braathens are to in-country airways. Last year they had cheap passes for some routes.

Have fun.
Helen
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:15 PM

Good points made by hstergious.
3) I would add that Norwegian has an extensive net of inland flights as well and is the reason SAS is selling flights with a loss... (www.morwegian.no and www.sas.no)

2) Also correct but I would add that you can separate the grocery stores in Oslo (and most else of Norway as well) into a few categories.
A: Large supermarkets with an extensive selection and a high price level examples (all part of large chain networks): ICA, Meny, Obs, Mega, Spar
B: Smaller grocery stores with much narrower selection but with better prices (all part of large chain networks): Rema 1000, Rimi, Prix, Bunnpris, Kiwi
C: Delis or kiosks which has only the necissities among the groceries, but with a good selection of finished or almost finished foods and desserts. Very expensive, but often with long opening hours. Eksamples :7-11, Deli de Luca
D: Privately owned grocery stores (often owned by immigrant families). Usually higher prices than class B, but with a more personal service and sometimes open on sundays or late at night (adn for the immigrant shops their fruits and vegetables are often cheap and excellent).
Also take note that all the chains close on Sundays except Bunnpris, so on Sundays finding a Bunnpris will often be a lot cheaper than 7-11 f. inst.

If you want specific restaurant recommondations for Oslo please ask.

Sindre
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great information. You are all so helpful.

I would like to hear about Oslo restaurants, especially inexpensive ones. Could anyone suggest lodgings in Oslo, Bergen, Fram. I looked on the websites, but it is hard to know from the write ups if they are OK. We need to fit 5, that is often a problem. Does anyone know anything about Gala (near Vinstra)?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Didn't you read my earlier posts ? If you follow the useit link I provided in my second post they have an extensive accomodations section which should include everything available in Oslo except proper expensive hotels... But keep in mind that asking for a beds for small kids like yours is usually no problem and comes at no or only a small extra cost. You usually don't have to pay for a full "person" with kids (as most rooms in Norway are rented per person sleeping not per room as such).
And camping as mentioned on that webpage is by far the cheapest accomodations
And if you have any questions to specific properties just send them an email, most has emails and should be able to answer in english no problem.

About restaurants... the only good cheap ones I like are "Curry and Ketchup" in Kirkeveien (between Majorstua subway station and Frognerparken/Vigelandsparken sculpture park) which is indian, as well as Punjabi Tandoori (also indian) at Grønlands Torg (take subway to Grønland station and exit at the entry called Grønland Torg, at the top of the stairs it's on your left hand over the street). Also in the area around the streets, Torggata, Storgata and Hausmansgate you have "little Vietnam" with lots of SE asian places with decent vietnamese, thai, etc places.
All of these places mentioned has full meals from 50-100 NOK per person. Most restaurants charge more, though one option since you got many kids is one of the pizza chains, where a large american pizza (approx 40cm) in theory should cover all 5 depending on how much the adults eat, those pizzas are in the 175-250NOK range. I like Peppes Pizza as well as Dolly Dimple, both large chains and at least Peppes (Dolly is sort of new) has gotten good reviews here on Fodors I've seen.

A few general comments about eating out in Oslo (and more or less Norway generally) you can always ask for tap water and that should be free. But if you just say water they will always bring you bottled water which costs the same as a soda. Oslo's tap water is excellent and I usually drink 0,5-2l of it every day Furthermore all the prices I've listed are including service charge and taxes. And all menues listed outside also includes that so what you see is what you pay. About tips I would say either ask for exact, round up to next practical amount, or if you WANT to leave a tip you should give a decent one, i.e. 10-20%.

Hope this helps a bit..

Cobos
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Anneka- Cobos has given invaluable information here, and I'm wondering where Gard is (he normally chimes in on these posts!). Anyway, could you please give more information on what you consider "inexpensive" in terms of meals (and please specify if you're thinking in CDN or NKR). DH and I were there for some time last year visiting relatives, but when we were on our own in Oslo and Bergen we would wind up picnic-ing in our hotel rooms often as the food is just so expensive - for example, $30 USD for a medium-sized specialty pizza at a Peppe's in Bergen... The upside, though, was that we gorged on gjetost cheese, wonderful brown bread, preserved meats, and in-season jordbaer (strawberries) and moreller (cherries), all found at the various supermarket chains. Believe it or not, if you look on the NYTimes' website in the travel section you can dig up a few articles where they describe somewhat inexpensive restaurants, and if you search above for "oslo" and "restaurants" and the like I know you'll pull up some godo threads. Good luck!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Well it all depends on what you define as cheap and expensive... in the student cantina's f. inst. you get the day special for 35NOK, and that is a special discounted meal. That meal is OK but usually nothing special, i.e. some meat/fish, potatoes/rice etc and some veggies. That is about the cheapest you can find in Oslo. At a bit more normal "restaurant"/fast food joint you often get a meal for around 60kr which I call cheap. While a more "proper" restaurant the main course usually costs 150-250 each. At Michelin star level restaurants you usually get a main course for 350+kr
My "fiance" and I went out for dinner about a week ago and we ended up with a bill of 600kr for 2 appetizers and 2 main courses at a good szchean (sp?) restaurant and we thought that was decent. So it all depends on what you define as cheap of course, but you wont find any of it in Oslo

Sindre
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:32 PM

Try this place in Bergen:
Skansen Pensjonat
VETRLIDSALMENNING
29 Tel.: + 55 31 90 80
http://www.skansen-pensjonat.no/

They had a 2 room apartment - not sure if it would acccomodate 5 or not - but they also have B&B rooms. It was nice enough, but not expensive. Location was not bad, either - we walked everywhere from there (except to the aquarium). It is very near the funicular that takes you to the top of some hill that I can't remember the name of but offers great views. When it is sunny. Which may not occur while you are there.

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 03:25 AM

I would be thinking of driving Oslo-Bergen-Gaupne-Vinstra-Oslo
From Gaupne drive into Jostedalen valley. From the Glacier museum, there is a toll road going almost to the Nigard glacier
http://www.brevegen.no/eng-index.htm

I know Gålå more as a winter-resort, but I am sure you will have a nice time during autumn as well. Since school holiday is over there is probably less activity, than in summer.
http://www.gala.no/indexed_eng.htm

A nice day-trip from Gålå would be visiting Rondane National Park and the river and waterfall Store Ula. Drive north towards Otta. Just before getting to Otta you turn right and follow the small road to Mysuseter, continue to the end of the road to Mysuseter Fjellstue and leave your car there.

From Mysuseter you follow a gravel road a few hundred meters until you get to a small bridge crossing Store Ula. Not crossing the bridge you should follow the waterfalls downstream until you reach the road (this is really great I think). Walk back to Mysuseter following the road (I would estimate this round trip to 1,5 hour, if your 6 year old gets tired you could walk back to Mysuseter alone and get the car. The rocks by the waterfall just down from the Bridge is perfect for a picnic. Before heading downstream I would highly recommend first crossing the bridge and follow the river upstream to the small lake, getting a perfect view of Rondane and the mountaintops. The River Store Ula continues to Spranget (a narrow mountain pass) but you have to get back. If wanting to get further into the National park, there is a toll road from Mysusæter to a car park at Spranget and from there a 1,5 hour walk on gravel road to Rondvassbu mountain Hut.

Geiranger is also a possibility being some 3 hours away from Vinstra.

In Oslo I would suggest strolling Akerselva River from downtown to Maridalsvannet. Take a bus back down from Kjelsås. There are possibilities for a swim at the top. It quickly saves you money buying a 24-hour ticket (Dagskort) for tram, busses and boats and on Saturdays and Sundays children travel for free together with an adult holding a Dagskort (24-hour 55kr.) or Ukeskort (7-day 190kr). I would also suggest taking the boat line 93 from Vippetangen to the Islands in Oslo harbour, it makes 4 stops at different small islands. Having a 24-hour card, it is a really cheap way of boat sightseeing. Having children, maybe stop of at Gressholmen (Rabbit Island), the bunnies are wild but very cute. Locals use the Islands for picnicking, bathing and recreation.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Good points Helen, especially the walk along Akerselva (regarding the Oslo comments). Though I didn't suggest the ferries since they will arrive end of september beginning of october and then most of those boats will have stopped running, since they are a summer offer/service. And at the begining of october it's usually to cold to swim (of course depending on your defination of swimming obviously)

Sindre
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 01:50 AM

The summerferries actually run until Oct. 10., but agree that it would probably be too cold to swim . It is a nice way to letting the feet rest however.

I am guessing that walking Akerselva from Maridalen to Oslo centre is too long a walk. It is nice to combine it with a visit at Vigeland Sculpture Park, then take bus no.20 north/eastwards to the river at Sagene/Torshov and follow the river down from Vøien Bridge, past the falls at Mølla ending at Anker Hostel or start at Anker Hostel...

http://www.virtualoslo.com/html/body_down5.html
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:21 AM

Hi Anneka!

Sindre and Helen have given well informed advice so I'll just add a few points as a grandfather-age guy who was there last year...thinking especially of your young children.

In Oslo itself Akershus castle is impressive and as mentioned the resistance museum is worth seeing. Also nearby is a building with a replica of how historic Christiana looked and a history museum with free tour of the grounds.

I think you would all enjoy the Vigeland sculptures in Fronerparken.
These are outstanding. Also of course the Norwegian folk museum on Bygdoy penninsula along with the Viking display and Kon Tiki displays there.

Perhaps you'll just wander around Aker Bryggen (harbor) and take a tram back to city center. We stayed at Royal Christiania which is a Clarion hotel across from the railroad station. And then you may do some more strolling down Karl Johan Gate (pedestrian walk with shops) and even proceed up to the Royal Palace. (I don't think you even need a car in Oslo).

At the National Art Museum you will want to search out the two Edvard Munch rooms in which is found his famous painting "Scream." Nearby are works by native Norwegian artists which I liked showing winter scenes and others depicting rural life. Also good Impressionist collection here.

Yes, eating out isn't cheap and you might well want to have a few bread and cheese lunches from delis...and a few times we swiped fixings from the smorgasbord breakfast buffet at the hotel for lunch. And we supplemented with squeeze peanut butter and such from home! Some reasonable restaurants:
Cafe Istanbul at harbor for mousaka, Kaffistova down Rosenkrantz Gate (basic local food), Bacchus Cafe near Cathedral, Politiker'n Restaurant at Youngstroget (where labor union folks chow down and chat), Engebret Cafe up from the castle, a little more pricey.

As for trips with kids, since you do have 11 days, by all means do the Nutshell over to Bergen not only for the scenery incl. the majestic fjords but also for the kids the various means of transporation. Be warned that it is a long day. Yes, and being in Bergen which I love is worth a day especially for folks from a fishing village. Also why not take an overnight ferry which has a wonderful smorgasbord for Copenhagen? There you could do at least a day sightseeing with the kids...Tivoli Gardens, Little Mermaid, etc. Even worth extending your stay a couple of days!

Have fun!

Bill in Missouri [email protected]
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for this great information. I think my problem was that I didn't realize how expensive "ïnexpensive" accomodation was in Oslo. Now I have an idea how much things cost there, I think we will be eating a lot of picnic lunches!

Your suggestions have been so helpful. I really appreciate the time and effort you have put into your replies. This vacation is going to be even better thanks to all of you.

Anneka