Notices

Norway in aNutshell luggage transport

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway in aNutshell luggage transport

We are taking the Norway in a Nutshell Tour from Oslo to Bergen on a Sunday in September (no flexibility here). I have been told that there is no luggage transport sevice on a Sunday by my hotel's concierge. Since Oslo is our 1st stop of several on this trip (Aberdeen, Paris)we will have a bit of luggage. How big of a handicap will this be on this tour? Is there no way to check the luggage all the way through to Bergen and have it waiting there for us when we arrive? Or is that really not possible on a Sunday? Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:50 AM

If the transport service is not available, and you are not returning to Oslo (if you are, stow luggage you won't need for a day or two in the big lockers they have available), it isn't a big problem dragging it with you. We stowed most of our luggage in the Oslo lockers, but we saw a lot of people dragging theirs onto the boat and off it. It's not a long haul from one form of transport to another on each leg of the tour, so it isn't all that much of a pain in the neck, but it's certainly easier without it.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input-that makes me feel a bit better!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:05 PM

Colleen: If you go for a roundtrip, an Oslo S locker would be easy for most of your stuff. But you also can express all your luggage from Oslo S to Bergen by the NSB Express Service. At Oslo S locatated some 100 yards southeast of the tracks, officers will guide u. Up to 40 kilogramms, no matter how many pieces, per persons. Must be delivered at least half an hour before departure and by showing ur rail tickets. Luggagage can be picked up at Bergen rail station, or you can order NSB (Norwegian Rail Company) to deliver at your destination hotel for a minor cost. Works fine, and I guess the service is available all days.
To confirm, check www.nsb.no or the express luggage delivery mail [email protected]

Bjorn, Oslo

PS If possible, make an overnight stay at Stalheim hotel, after finishihig the ferry leg, between Gudvangen and Voss. I Highly, highly recommend both the views and the comfort.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:07 PM

PS As always: Please forgive me all typos
B
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Bjorn,
As always you are a life saver. I am only going one way to Bergen. Are you sure the NSB works on a Sunday? I will try to email them to check on this. Unfortunately, due to very tight time constraints I don't have an option to do anything other than get to Bergen for 2 nights before flying off to relatives in Aberdeen. Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Whoops. By detailed studiing of the express service, it seems that it always is closed on Sundays, and some places also at Saturdays. What an incredible lack of NSB service!!
Anyway, I'll soon get to the phone and see if any alternatives, like making appointments with the train conductor etc, exists.
Within tomorrow I'll submit the results of my inqueries.
Have a nice and pleasant evening. Just now Oslo is terrificly beautiful, and within a couple of hours Norway shall try to beat Scotland in soccer.
Bjorn, Oslo
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bjorn. They have mot responded to my email inquiry. I was afraid that Sunday might be a problem. I wonder why they just can't be checked through to Bergen. Perhaps there's no staff available to unload luggage on Sunday. I'll look forward to haering what you find out. Thanks again for your help. Go Norway!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Any luck with your inquires Bjorn, or are we stuck with our luggage?
Thanks,
Colleen
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Topping for further input from Bjorn if he's out there.
Thanks,
colleenk
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:17 AM

I'm here Colleen, and I'm sorry my answer is negative. Sunay is closed, and deals with the train's conductur is not a very propbable thing to achieve. If only you could be in Oslo on a Friday or even Saturday......
I regret my late answering
Bjorn
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Bjorn-we'll just have to deal!