Norway in a nutshell in Winter Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to norway at the end of november around thanksgiving and i want to do Norway in a nutshell 1 way from Bergen to Oslo. Because of the limited daylight hours, I want to do the first leg from Bergen to Flam on day 1 in the morning (which will end at approx 2pm before sunset at 4pm) and then start the 2nd leg of the trip in the morning from Flam to Oslo to also maximize daylight hours. I hear that the 2nd part of the trip has some of the most breathtaking views that will be lost if we do a 1 day trip from Bergen to Oslo. My problem is when I go to the fjordtour.com website and go to book the tour, the schedule has me leaving Flam at 2pm (right before it gets dark, as if i didn't select to stay in flam overnight) ... Are these tickets that you buy through fjord tours (and other websites) interchangeable for other times of day? I am getting conflicting information -- where some people say, it's hard to get left behind bc you can just catch the next train. Would the same hold true for catching an earlier train?

I know that we can book everything ourselves for about $60 cheaper, but to me it's not worth the hassle or risk of messing something up, so I'd rather they do it for me.

Any one have any knowledge of how these tickets work?

One last question I had was duration in each city.... on the website it gives you very little time between stops. Is there not a place to walk around in each city where you may want to linger for an hour or grab lunch?

Any and all help is appreciated!!! Thanks so much!
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 07:26 PM

You need to call FjordTours to get the proper schedule after an overnight stay. Train tickets are for fixed seats from Myrdal to Oslo and not valid on other trains. There is a train from Flåm at 09:00 which will get you to Oslo 14:45, or 11:50 - 19:13 (I'd take the earliest - there is nothing in Flåm in winter, and the later train involves 1 1/2 hrs waiting on a cold platform at Myrdal).
Not only do you have the problem with daylight, but in winter you might be up in the clouds and not see anything for fog, though if you are lucky it will be a cold, crisp day and a fantastic view of snow covered landscape.
Given the hassle anyway why not just book yourself and save. You just need to follow the NiN itinerary from Bergen to Flåm. Train from Bergen is a local train that can't be booked - buy ticket to Voss at station. Bus from Voss to Gudvangen is a local bus that can't be booked - pay driver cash NOK 115. Book ferry at https://www.visitflam.com/en/se-og-g...yfjorden-2016/
Book train Flåm - Oslo S at https://www.nsb.no/en/frontpage tickets available 90 days before.
There are no cities. Gudvangen is a motel and a petrol station, Flåm a village with cafeterias and souvenir shops (mostly closed in winter - avoid and head for the Fretheim hotel). Myrdal a platform in the mountains.
Note that end of November sunset is 15:38 and twilight to 16:33.
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 07:41 PM

Several years ago I looked at NiN and found the site not particularly helpful when trying to come up with my own itinerary staying at several places enroute from Bergen to Oslo. I ended up booking everything myself. It simply requires getting the necessary train, ferry, bus schedules. Try the forum on Trip Advisor as there are several contributors that can provide you with correct websites to plan your own journey. So happy I did as I felt less like a lemming and was able to plan my trip exactly as I wanted, and it didn't require that much more research.
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 10:44 PM

The best of NIN is from Bergen to Myrdal (we did it in the opposite direction). You'll see most of it on the first day. The second day might then be a disappointment.