Reload this Page >

Norway coastal cruise - Hurtigruten

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:26 AM
KC

We are planning a trip to Norway the first week of September and would like to spend 2-3 days cruising up the coast. Wanted to get some insights from other who have done this. My questions are this:<BR><BR>Do you have to get a cabin or can you jump on and off the boat and stay 'on-shore'?<BR><BR>If you do stay on the boat - are you given enough time in port to explore the stops?<BR><BR>I only see 5, 6 or 11 day options on the www.hurigruten.com website. What if we just want to do 2-4 days - is that an option?<BR><BR>Thanks for any insights you can provide. I have tried to get info from the hurtigruten website but it is not very clear.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Kimberly

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
xxx

I took the cruise for 7 nights two years ago. There were locals using it as ferry, on and off the ship at many ports. They didn't book cabin,just rest at common areas(plenty of space in low season).<BR><BR>The time at the posts veries,some 3-4 hours, some only one hour,sometimes in the middle of the night. I managed to walk on shore whenever possible.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:46 AM
Louisa

I loved the trip<BR>I was in a cabin - in the winter but we didnt' see the Northern Lights - so I want to go back.<BR>A fascinating journey - the ports are interesting but the way of life and the beauty of the journey !!!!!<BR><BR>Enjoy

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:12 AM
Dave

We took the 5 night trip up the coast 8 years ago. There were people who took a cabin for a few days, and some people just took the boat from one port to another, stayed in the common room. Those who did not take a regular cabin for the full 5 or 6 nights did not get the meal plan. So I believe you can arrange for a cabin for a few days, or just get on and off. Of course it depends on cabin availability.<BR><BR>When the boat stopped in port, every day there was a tour (extra charge) for a few hours. We took most of the tours, which were very good. It was an enjoyable trip.<BR><BR>I just looked at the site, and if you click on "product info" you will see that you tailor-make your own trip. Go to travel plans, then cabin availability.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Karen

My husband and I just got back from a month in Norway. Took the 6 night/7 day cruise from Bergen to Kirkenes. It was fabulous. We had a cabin, however, there were people who got on for a few days without having a cabin. The cafeteria is available to all passengers. The boats make numerous stops, some for several hours at the bigger ports, however, the average time seemed to be about 45 minutes. Some as short as 5 minutes, and many during the night.<BR><BR>I believe you could arrange your trip to stay on the boat for a day, get off in a particular port you wanted to visit, and get on the next boat coming through for a day or so. There is a boat leaving Bergen every day.<BR><BR>The Lofoten Islands seem to be a very popular area to do this in. Many people seemed to get on the boat a day or so before arriving in Svolvaer and they got off there.<BR><BR>If you want more information on our trip, please feel free to e-mail me.