Northumberland region of England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending a week in the Northumberland region of England, and I would appreciate any recommendations of places not to miss, favorite 'casual' restaurants, what the best hikes might be, etc. We intend to include the Harry Potter Castle, and Hadrian's Wall, and would like to see one more castle, so if there is one that stands out, that would be appreciated as well Thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 09:00 AM

You should see Bamburgh Castle. It is right on the sea and it is beautiful.

www.bamburghcastle.com/castle
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Alnwick (the 'HP castle'), Bamburgh, Lindesfarne (Holy Island), Lanercost Priory, lots of sites along the Wall, and Durham Cathedral would all be doable. Also a bit farther up the road in Scotland -- St Abb's Head
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 03:10 AM

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...stal_walks.htm
Downloadable walks
Craster to Low Newton 6 miles along the coast passing the atmospheric ruined Dunstanborough Castle
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 03:52 AM

I'd recommend Dunstanburgh Castle - ruined castle on an isolated headland. The Ship is a very nice pub at Low Newton

Down into County Durham as well as Durham Cathedral I'd recommend Bowes Museum & Beamish Museum.

For a drive in the south of the area on a nice day - go from Barnard Castle towards Middleton-in-Teesdale for Hight Force then cross the top of the moors at Langdon Beck, turn towards Alston - if you have time stop at Killhope Museum - then descend back into the Tyne Valley
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 03:53 AM

Agree about the Craster - Dunstanburgh Castle walk
We got to the castle in a thunderstorm, and as it is reputedly haunted it was quite an experience to shelter there.
http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walk...s/walk_b/1199/
Craster is famous for its kippers and you can smell them smoking in the village. There's a pub there called the Jolly Fisherman that does a good, inexpensive lunch and you can sample the local produce.
www.silk8234.fsnet.co.uk
I'd also recommend the new, contemporary Alnwick Garden, beautiful at any time of the year. You can eat in the treehouse in the gardens - this is 'casual' during the day, but a bit more formal in the evenings.
www.alnwickgarden.com
www.alnwickgarden.com/eat/eat-in-the-treehouse
Cragside House is also fascinating and you can easily spend a long time there - much to see.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...ardenandestate
And if you like poking around 2nd hand bookshops there's the wonderful Barter Books.
www.barterbooks.co.uk
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. We will be staying at Slaley Hall in Hexham. It seems to be fairly centrally located in this region, but I have no idea how long these trips would be from there. I would love to get to both coasts, but if I can only do one, what would be recommended.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM

If you love castles don't forget ours.

http://www.barrasgate.co.uk/en/image...ock-castle.gif

http://www.rampantscotland.com/castl...rders6175a.jpg

Birdoswald is close to Hexham and has a good esction of Hadrian's Wall with a ruined fort. Do not whatever you do, try to find an unsignposted section of the wall. It will drive you mad and lost. As we were last Sunday evening, lost in a farmers field somewhere near Gilsland.

It is a fair drive to either coast from Hexham. Both are well over an hour. Bamburgh is 90 minutes and avoid the rush hour in Newcastle.

The National Trust house at Wallington is lovely.

A wierd and wonderful experience is Chillingham Castle which usually runs makeshift tours, totally batty people and place.

Tullie House in Carlisle has an excellent Roman exhibition and the gallery holds some good Pre Raphaelites.

The church in Brampton which is close to Hexham has the best stained glass by Edward Burne-Jones.

http://www.stmartinsbrampton.org.uk/

However, in short, try to get to Bamburgh.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
can i piggy-back on this thread and ask if anyone has any recommendations for accommodation in Northumberland?

I suggested to DH that for his birthday at the end of March, we do a trip to Riga [yes, I know that's not in Northumberland] and he said he'd rather stay in the UK. as we can fly from Newquay to Newcastle, and we've never been to Northumberland, it seemed the obvious ! choice.

I've been looking at Battlesteads Hotel in Wark, [www.battlesteads.com] but is it a bit out of the way? another place I like the look of is a B&B in Hexham -

http://www.fairshawrigg.co.uk/

thanks BTW for all the great suggestions above - it's a part of the country that we've never been to so you've given me a head start.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Ann

This was an incredible find.

http://www.ladythorne.wanadoo.co.uk/

or

http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/lindenhall/

is more corporate.
It is just off the beach which has views of Holy Island.

Hexham is a long way from the coast and some of the Northumbria coast rivals yours as the best in England.

Riga.

Not sure what to make of Riga as the closest I have been to it is Northumbria!

I'm with your DH.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 01:32 PM

humpty - i see what you mwan about that B&B - it looks perfect - thanks.

A fly in the ointment that we had forgotten about is having to collect DS from uni in Wales for Easter and return him thereto 3 weeks later. Add in DH's obsession with our local rugby team, and it looks as if Northumberland may be postponed.

Rats - i was getting it all planned nicely.

back to the drawing board.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 01:30 AM

That's a shame.

Good to see Newquay's low cost service is still active.

May use it sometime.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 10:23 AM

humpty - yes it is. the Newcastle flight actually calls in ar Cardiff, but that is no use to DS as he has further to go.

it's not THAT cheap though - one of the dates I was looking at it was already over £100, one way.

Sadly, the airsouthwest service from Newquay to Gatwick got axed last month.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone give me an idea of how long a drive it is from Hexham to possible destinations in Scotland [Edinburgh for ex., but other suggestions would also be appreciated] While I have been to Edinburgh, friends who are traveling with us have not, and we would like to do a day trip. Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:01 PM

LoisL, try www.viamichelin.com.

you can put in all sorts of routes and different options.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 06:43 AM

It's about 80 miles to Edinburgh from Hexham. There's some lovely scenery if you take the A68. Stop at Jedburgh Abbey in the Borders.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion bellini.