Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

northern spain without hotel reservations

Mar 28th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Jenny

We will be traveling throughout Northern Spain next month and we have made Hotel reservations in Barcelona for 2 nights upon our arrival. Then we hope to just happen upon small hotels along the way with out making reservations. Is this a wise thing to do considering the time of year. Thanks for any advise.

Mar 29th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Rex

See numerous other recent threads for opinions - - some biased - - some balanced - - on traveling without hotel reservations.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 29th, 2002, 06:26 AM
tommy

My experience has been that you can always find a pension or hostal in all but the largest cities, or towns in which there is a special event occurring. If you're willing to forego some of the luxuries, you probably won't have problems.

Mar 29th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Sheila

I did it in August without any problems. I might not be so blase if I had kids, but for grown ups, no bother

Mar 29th, 2002, 09:31 PM
ttt

to the top, for Jenny

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:18 PM
Miriam

Jenny,

do not recommend during the summer months rates are lower and more tourist are abound.Also, I have found that if you do not have reservation they tend to charge you more.

First time we went we ended up driving an extra 2 hours before we found accomodations, and they were not up to par, but was so tired I took them at a premium price.

Consider reservations to save aggravation.

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:46 PM
Graziella

Jenny I do not think it is a black or white issue, we usually call and make reservations for the next town we plan to visit.
In places like Santiago you must make reservations, ....sometimes special events are occuring and even in small places you might have a problem, have with you a list of possible places and call as long as you go.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:16 AM
Rex

Possibly relevant to the Annette/groupie Brussels to Madrid thread.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:08 PM
Allen

The Paradors are an excellent option, and you may be able to get one to call ahead and make reservations for you, day by day. As you check out from one, book the next one to have a place to stay that night.

www.parador.es

Apr 4th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Jade

i agree that if you are going somewhere like Santiago de Compostella you might need to, but we just turned up in places like Bilbao and were fine. San Sebastian on the other hand, you would probably want to have booked - extremely popular. If you are going to San Sebastian and price is not too much of an issue, i.e $220 approx. Australian dollars per night, a great hotel to look at in San Sebastian is the Hotel Londres y Inglaterra on the beachfront callled 'La Concha'. It was idyllic - such a beautiful place.

Enjoy your trip!
Jade