Reload this Page >

Northern Spain in February - what to expect

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Jessica

My fiance and I are planning a trip to Northern Spain (Segovia, Bilboa, San Sebastian) in late February -- although we're a bit hesitant to head north due to the cold. What can we expect? We'll be driving, so we don't want to hit snow. Any suggestions are welcome (and any must-sees between these cities are welcome as well)

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Maira

Jessica, in May 99 we drove from Segovia thru the mountains on to Leon, Burgos and then to Santiago de Compostela. The rain was tough, the roads were treacherous. I wonder if you guys are better off considering train from Segovia to Leon, then on to areas north (whichever town you are planning). If May was tough, I can't even imagine what Feb weather can be like. I would do a contingency plan (train) as an exercise. It may be worth your while. Have a good time. Spain is a marvelous destination.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Pedro

We did last year a wonderful trip in December around Picos de Europa, Leon and Salamanca and had to hit snow along Cordillera Cantábrica mountains. I would strongly recommend you to get to Cantabria ( Santillana del Mar, Altamira Neocave, Comillas, Barcena Mayor and Potes are very beautiful any time of the year ). Hoces del Duraton Natural Park and the medieval town of Pedraza de la Sierra, both in Segovia province might be among the most enjoyable places on your way up. Further north stands Burgos with its impressive gothic cathedral although be prepared to be cold there since it has one of the lowest average temperatures in Spain.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 11:36 PM
cova

Hi Jessica,<BR>in the areas in the centre of Spain (let´s say Segovia, Avila, Burgos) will be cold (probably not fiercely by Minessota standards) and you will probably find snow. In Bilbao, San Sebastian and Santander, located as they are near the sea, is milder, so you have a lot of possibilities of finding rain. February is one of the coldest months in Spain, and remember that we will be in winter.<BR>But having said that, don´t run away this forecast because of this forecast. If you pack accordingly, you can enjoy it. You might even see some interesting carnival festivals (Leiza), meet less tourists, and have a reason to enjoy the food (sopa castellana, cocido monta&ntilde;es, alubias de Tolosa...)

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 01:47 AM
cristina

Hi Jessica,<BR><BR>As the othere posters have said you can find snow around Segovia and Burgos area, so I would considerate the train as the best option (check the schedules in www.renfe.es). Once in the Coast (Bilbao, San Sebastian) you can rent a car to move around Basque Country and Cantabria. You will problably not find any snow here, maybe in the mountains but not at the sea level. Temperatures should be between mid-forties(lows) and fifties (highs). If you are thinking about going to San Sebastian feel free to email me and I will give all the information you need.