northern light trip report

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 10:30 PM
ih
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
northern light trip report

We went to tromso and abisko national park to see the northern lights

Would like to thank the forum members ( especially charlie cornwall ) team at visit tromso office and guide gunnar for all the help.

After having gone thru numerous reports and location choices we settled for these places as we had been to iceland and alaska over the last 2 summers which are considered good places to see the lights. The acitivity in the past week was very low and from reports of the various service providers the sightings were ok.k Kept checking weather and all other reports daily during our stay and believe me do not trust any of those reports unless u happen to be there during a geo magnetic storm. You need luck to see the lights.

Here goes the 1st phase

22nd- arrived at tromso at 12.30 pm. Picked up the rental car from budget and headed straight to tromso naturo og fritid office to pick up the snow shoes.Drove straight to lauklines kysteferie cabins. We had booked this place for 2 nights. Reached at 5pm and went straight to the cabin decks to hear the sound of the humpbacks. I have reviewed the place separately. This is one of the best places we have stayed in till date. Quality cabins, fjord location ,ever helpful hosts willing to answer any question.

23rd- watched the whales coming into the fjord and pass by he cabin and then drove to sommoroya.In the evening went to grotfjord and tromvik. Acitivity was very low and since it was partially clouded decided to catch up on some rest. We saw DIY aurora chasers waiting in the dark. Got back to the cabins at 9.30 pm as we wanted to keep all the energy for the next 2 days.

24th- left for tromso and checked into city living apartment for the next 2 nights.

Everything was closing down for the next 2 days hence decided to look around in the morning. In front of Rica hotel there was a lavu tent and arctic guide had a counter selling tickets for the evening aurora chase and told us to check in the evening on the chances. We came back at 6.30pm and they said based on weather and activity chances were good. We went with them in a coach. Reached skibotn at 9pm. Set up the camera and waited. We had decent sighting but the color was light green. It gets very cold while waiting for the lights . The guides were very helpful with the camera and any other questions.Got back to tromso at 1am.

25th-we had booked with gunnar 3 months back and we were looking forward to this day anxiously. He picked us up at 6.30pm and soon we were on the way. He gave us all the warm suits and shoes. Reached our 1st point at 8.30pm. Just as he reached he looked at the sky and said there is some activity, hence let us start here as it was not windy.He calls this point double matterhorn. The setting is amazing. With the moon light u could see the entire landscape. He set up the camera for us and soon we saw the aurora. Decent show, better than 24th. Then we went towards finnish border and he parked inside a clearing inside the forest. This place is skibotn valley. As he got of the van he said we shoud come out quickly as the aurora was bright. This is what we had seen in photos. It lasted for 10mins and the aurora was dancing all over. One cannot describe the moment. We were at the right place at the right time. He set up a bon fire as the temp. was -22.

Great evening wherein he shared all his knowledge on the lights.

He wanted to go inside finland but we were getting very late.

Got back at 2pm. He said if i wanted to drive around the next day he would help with locations but we had booked tickets to narvik for onward journey to abisko.

Tromso was great and we got to see the lights on both nights we went out. The weather was good all thru.

Once u see the lights u want to see them again hence we have decided to come back in 2014.

I will post the abisko & kiruna portion in the sweden forum
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ih,
I would like to ask your advice. My family and I are going to Kiruan and Abisko (1 night Icehotel and 2 nights Abisko) over Christmas with the hope of seeing the norhern lights. What I have been trying for many, many hours is if we "should" also go to Tromso. We could add an extra day to Kiruna to have 4 nights to try to see the lights from there or add 2 nights, Dec 21 and Dec 22 in Tromso. Clearly the absolute darkest possible days for anything during the day and don't know if it is worth the travel hassles if it isn't better northern lights potential. Also, I gather the coast is milder weather and so wonder if snow activities will be available? Any insights you can provide would be wonderful. Thank you very much.
scenta