Northern Italy for two weeks ...

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Northern Italy for two weeks ...

Hello, Fodorites, and thank you to everyone who has helped with refinements to our previous trips. (Your Switzerland ideas last year were especially good, and we had a great trip to Lucerne, Wengen and Grandvaux, outside Lausanne.)

My husband and I (mid-60s, enjoy food, wine, art, history, people watching, wandering, travel at a stroll rather than a trot) are going to Northern Italy for two weeks in late May-early June. We are working around family weddings and our hopes that our NHL team will be in the playoffs, else we'd be traveling earlier. I've booked air and apartments already but only have a vague idea of what we'll actually do. Your thoughts on the itinerary (adjustable within the confines of plane tickets), recommendations for navigation, day trips, restaurants, guides, advance tickets and whatnot are very much welcomed. We spent a week in Rome and another in Florence in 2018, so I'm comfortable with the train situation.

Here goes: Fly into Venice, arrive morning of 5/27, stay in apartment on small canal in Dorsoduro for four nights. (Have booked it also for the night we travel so we can get into it when we arrive.) No cruise ships are in port on 5/28 so we'll hustle to the usually busiest sights, e.g. St. Mark's Square. We want to have plenty of time to explore Venice but could take a day trip to Treviso, Ferrara or Vicenza one day and/or Murano/Burano.

Mid-day 5/31, train to Bologna, for four nights there. Spend one or two days wandering Bologna, another visiting wineries with a driver and maybe hie off to Ravenna or Parma or such.

Mid-day 6/4, train to Varenna, for four nights there. I don't have anything specific in mind, except to ride boats along the lake, get off and wander Bellagio, etc. and gawk at the lake.

Morning of 6/8, morning train to Milan, for two days, one night, so we can see the Last Supper (tickets will go on sale in March for June, I think) and because the plane situation worked well to get home. We'll check out of the hotel 6/9, stash our bags so we can spend the day in the city, then get ourselves to the Sheraton at the airport for an easy exit the morning of 6/10, when we'll fly home.

Grazie mille for your thoughts.

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 12:43 PM

Sounds good, but a couple of comments:

You may not actually want to make those day trips from Venice and Bologna. There is a lot to see in both cities, and three days will go by very fast.

FWIW, I would be more inclined to see Ravenna than visit wineries, but I'm a Californian and have visited dozens of wineries. Ravenna is truly unique.

I wouldn't relocate to a hotel at Malpensa on the final night unless you need to check in at some ungodly hour the next morning. If you stay near the Milano Cadorna train station (which BTW is close to the Last Supper), the train to Malpensa takes just 45 minutes for 13 euros per person.