Reload this Page >

North England vs. Cambridge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 10:43 AM
Michelle

We have two days to explore the Cambridge area or drive to territories in northern England. This is our first trip to England, which would you advise us to do? Places not to miss; places to stay, etc. Our first four days are in London; then we have two open (hence this question) then on to Liverpool for a day; then to the Costwolds for two days. Any advice is appreciated!

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 11:00 AM
NIGEL DORAN

Hello <BR> <BR>I would recommend that, since you are going to Liverpool anyway, you should think about travelling to York and perhaps Durham <BR>or Ilkley on the train. Trains go direct from Liverpool to York, taking about 2.5 hours or so. There are plenty of things written about York in Fodor's, Frommers, Lonely Planet etc. It is pretty and interesting. <BR>This is not a 'York better than Cambridge' posting. I know York well, and Cambridge hardly at all, and its environs less. All I say is that York and its environs will be a good choice for those 2 days. Mind you, York to the Cotswolds isn't the most direct of journeys, so staying south might be better. <BR>By the way, how are you getting around? If you want to know more about the train travel and how to get the tickets as cheaply as possible. message me.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 11:00 AM
NIGEL DORAN

Hello <BR> <BR>I would recommend that, since you are going to Liverpool anyway, you should think about travelling to York and perhaps Durham <BR>or Ilkley on the train. Trains go direct from Liverpool to York, taking about 2.5 hours or so. There are plenty of things written about York in Fodor's, Frommers, Lonely Planet etc. It is pretty and interesting. <BR>This is not a 'York better than Cambridge' posting. I know York well, and Cambridge hardly at all, and its environs less. All I say is that York and its environs will be a good choice for those 2 days. Mind you, York to the Cotswolds isn't the most direct of journeys, so staying south might be better. <BR>By the way, how are you getting around? If you want to know more about the train travel and how to get the tickets as cheaply as possible. message me.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 12:01 PM
Sharlande Smith

Hi Michelle! <BR>I would have to agree with Mr. Doran about York. As long as you are going to Liverpool, hop on over and train it back to London to catch the plane. <BR> I've been to both York and the Cotswalds. Both are great in different ways. With the Cotswalds, the scenery is absolutely picturesque. Just what you would imagine, thatched rooves and all. Great for relaxing and punting in Cambridge. York is like stepping back in time save the tourists depending on what time of year. <BR>If you end up driving, Heaven help ya. No disrespect to anyone but English drivers believe that once they are on a motorway, they have been magicly transported to the Autobahn!! When you are going 80-85mph in an attempt not to be run down and see a Ford appropriately named the "Dot"(about the size of one) zipping past at least 120mph, you know something is a little wrong! LOL <BR> If you do go up to York, you have to go to Betty's for tea. Also, there is a little Italian restaurant just outside of Micklebar called DelRio's. You can get there by walking the wall and getting a wonderful view of the city and the georgous cathedral (well worth the trip). Take the Girl Friday tour which is hop-on hop-off. The best way to see the city. Plenty of places to stay inside the wall or just outside. Castle Howard, Mours(sp), ect. within easy reach. Let me know if you need anymore info, I'd be more than happy to help. <BR>

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 12:21 PM
kristin

If Michelle decides to go to Cambridge, is there a time from now until mid-June when Cambridge U. (the colleges) is closed for exams? I read this somewhere. Could someone from England comment on how this would affect a visit? Also, when does it end? <BR>

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 02:32 PM
Kate

Hi Michelle, <BR>I'm a bit afraid to ask this ... for fear I'll get jumped on by some Liverpool fans ... but why did you choose Liverpool to visit? I'm not saying it's an awful city by any means; however, I do believe there are better towns/cities to visit before stopping in Liverpool. Anyone else agree?

Old May 6th, 2000, 02:52 PM
Holland Thomas

Yes I agree... why Liverpool? I mean it is not the greatest of tourist cities in the UK. York, Edinburgh, and even Manchester are far better. Don't hate me for it, but Liverpool is only a mediocre travel destination. Cambridge is one of the most wonderful towns also, and definately worth a stop. Skip Oxford.

Old May 6th, 2000, 03:18 PM
fae

York is great, lots to see. <BR>The Cotswolds are definately a step back in time and thats what we were looking for. Any time you get off the beaten path you can find "old England". <BR>The charm is there. The villages with small butcher shops, the butchers in striped aprons and a straw hat. Quaint bakery and deli shops. Antique shops with very old laces. Stow-on-the-Wold was a favorite to stroll through. <BR>We did have an advantage by driving and stopping any time we wanted to see something. Enjoy!

Old May 6th, 2000, 05:07 PM
Carolyn

If in Cambridge and the East Anglia area in general, I definitely would stop by Ely for at least a half day. It is just north of Cambridge, only 20 minutes or so by rail, not sure how much time by car. <BR> <BR>The cathedral there is worth the trip. We spent a week in Ely last summer and thoroughly enjoyed the slower pace of life there--A half day of walking along the river side, then in and around the Cathedral, topped off by tea at the Almonry would be a perfect day, in my opinion. <BR> <BR>After the chaos of a busy Cambridge, it might be sweet respite!