Normandy in December

Search

Normandy in December

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normandy in December

My husband are trying to put together a trip for 10 days to France. We don't want to be running around too much but there a few things that I would like to see. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on visiting Paris for a few days and then one other thing - maybe Mt. St. Michel? Please help! Since this is his first introduction to France I don't want it to be all cathedral, etc. and I feel like my options might be limited in December. . .
Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:07 AM

Do you like concerts? Keep in mind that it gets dark fairly early in December so that sightseeing time is more limited. But the concert season should be in full swing. Perhaps Paris-Lyon might make more sense than Paris-Normandy at this time of the year.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:34 AM

Unless you are using the 2nd location as a base to explore the area, I would select a different one.

I liked MSM a lot, but wouldn't be interested in spending more than a day (& night) there.

Keith
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Since the title of your request is "Normandy" maybe some place more central in Normandy would be better. MSM is pretty remote and crowded--although perhaps not in December. How about Bayeux--see the DDay beaches and the Tapestry and charming Normandy countryside getting there. You can go to MSM for a day from there.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:44 AM

<<maybe Mt. St. Michel? Please help! Since this is his first introduction to France I don't want it to be all cathedral, etc.>>

Well, le Mont-St-Michel, as an abbey, isn't all that different from visiting a cathedral, though of course there's a bit more there to see than just the abbey. Still, if you're trying to see something different, le MSM is not where I'd go, at least not exclusively

I would spend 3-4 days in Normandy or the Loire Valley. You could split up the time in Normandy with a stay in or near Honfleur and another in or near Bayeux. That way you'd see some of the lovely verdant (yes, even in December) Normandy coutryside plus be able to visit the D-Day beaches, museums, etc.

In the Loire you could spend two days in or near Amboise and two in or near Angers - to see the castles, do some wine tasting, enjoy the countryside, etc.

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:00 AM

To offer an opposing view, I think the Normandy beaches and MSM would be great in December, as long as it's not pouring. Dramatic, bleak and uncrowded. Dress warmly and go for it! A combo of Paris and Normandy would "float my boat."