Reload this Page >

Normandy: Hotel Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 07:40 PM
Bob

We are flying into Charles DeGaulle and then driving to the Normandy area to see the sites. What city and hotel do you recommend as a central location?

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 07:00 AM
pitner

Hi Bob, <BR> <BR>Was in Normandy last summer. It is one of my favorite regions of France. We stayed in Bayeux at the Lion d'Or( triple $120 US). It was great. Service is wonderful and meals were very good. Bayeux is fairly centrally located. It is a wonderful village to walk around in. Clean and safe. the Bayeux tapestry exhibit is worth seeing if youlike history. D-Day beaches are close by plus train station in city. They have a medieval festival in July. Not as touristy as Cherbourg or Caen. A car would certainly help but taxis are not too bad. People are wonderful! HOpe this helps. Have a great time!! <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage, <BR>Pitner

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 12:12 PM
kam

Le Ferme St. Simeon in Honfleur where the impressionist painters used to go. A charming little fishing town, close enough to the beaches, Bayeux and Mt. St. Michelle. Super food in this old farm hotel.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 01:13 PM
Robin

I second Honfleur! We toured all of northern France last summer and it was my absolute favorite place and it wasn't even planned. It's a photographers dream. We stayed near Bayeux as well....in Port en Bessen which was nice but I wish I had stayed in Honfleur.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 09:05 AM
Margo

BAYEUX <BR>LION D’OR: 71, rue St. Jean. Tel: 0231920690. Fax: 0231221564. (25 rms., all w/toilet & bath or shower.) 475F/72EUR (double bed/shower); 505F/77EUR (double bed/bath)-530F/81EUR (2 twin beds/bath)-655F/101EUR (superior w/twin beds)-970F/148EUR (suite) double; 635F/97EUR (double bed/twin bed)-775F/118EUR (superior w/3 twin beds)-1090F/166EUR (suite) triple. Call for family rates. Buffet breakfast (7am) at 70F pp can be served in the room & in the courtyard in warm weather. Visa, MC, DC, AX. English spoken, cable TV w/CNN, handsome 17th-century posthouse/hotel w/nicely furnished & individually decorated bright airy large pretty rms., #3, 4, 11, 21, 31 & 32 at 475F for a double; #10, 26 & 36 at 505F for a double; #1, 8, 14, 9, 29, 30, 38 & 39 at 530F for a double; #5, 20, 25 & 28 at 635F for a triple; #15 (very large rm./large bathroom), 22 & 34 are superior rms. at 655F for a double & 780F for a triple; #24 is a suite for a double or a triple; #25 is a for a family; some w/hair driers, minibars, laundry services, bar, excellent restaurant, garden courtyard, no elevator, 2 flrs., free parking. Half-board rates are required in summer. Owned/managed by Daniele Jouvin Bessiere. For directions, see Hotel Churchill. (Closed Dec. 20-Jan. 20.) <BR>

Old May 3rd, 2000, 07:24 PM
Jane

Yes, Honfleur. We've been there and you will be very happy with your choice.

Old May 4th, 2000, 03:50 AM
Monica

My Mother and I stayed in Bayeux (May 1999) at HOTEL D'ARGOUGES 21 rue Saint-Patrice, 14400, Bayeux, Normandy. Telephone: 33-2-31-92-88-86. 450FF per night, included all taxes. We stayed in the main house overlooking the garden. There is another building around the corner. The room was quite big with a twin and queen bed. The bathroom we had was very large and included a tub (no shower curtain, but a hand-held shower spray. A t.v. and mini bar was in the room. Parking is free, though limited space (about 10 cars worth). Very good location, about a 5-8 minute walk to the tourist office, the Tapestry museum and other main sights. Across the street in the plaza there is a market on Saturday. Just wonderful!

Old May 4th, 2000, 06:45 AM
Marsha

<BR>Dear Bob: I agree with the other posters that Honfleur and Bayeux are the best small towns in Normandy. There are some lovely B & B's in Normandy, too, but you should make reservations a long time in advance. In March, we did not have reservations, so we took what we could get. We were very pleased with Hotel Antares in Honfleur (a chain hotel, but with a great view of the Normandy bridge and a swimming pool), la Ferme de la Ranconniere in Crepon (on the road between Arromanches and Bayeux - a wonderful restaurant) and the Motel Amazone in Bayeux(a two-star motor inn - clean and adequate, but reminiscent of 1950's motor inns in the U.S.). Quaint hotels in town are fine, but often don't have good parking. Enjoy your trip - don't miss the Memorial Museum in Caen!