Normandy and Paris

May 20th, 2002, 08:09 PM
B. L.

Normandy and Paris

About Normandy. We will be staying between Caen and Liseaux. Does anyone have day trip by car suggestions?

About Paris. Is there a good bus with English commentaries to take our first day there for an overview?

Again, Paris. Has anyone had good luck with private tours, by car, bus, walking, etc.?

May 22nd, 2002, 09:28 PM
ttt

topping

May 23rd, 2002, 06:53 AM
Bob

I am not familiar with Liseaux but if you are near Caen then you are very close to the D Day landing beaches and other WW II sites. Pegasus Bridge and museum is just outside Caen and is worth a visit. Bayeux is about 40 minutes from Caen and has a wonderful catherdral predating Norte Dame, the Bayeux tapestry and the town itself is very nice. I would recommend seeing Omaha Beach, the American Cemetery and a stop in Bayeux. This would be a very full day in itself. To properly see the WW II sites you would need several days.

Can't help with Paris except to say that my wife and I enjoyed walking to see the sights. I think you will find everything you want to see well within walking distance, depending of course on where you are staying.

May 23rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Liz

For Paris I would recommend getting the Fodor's Pocket Guide and walking yourself around town. We did ten days there and in Normandy last summer and that seemed to be ther best way we saw what we wanted when we wanted to see it.
Also, in Normandy, the American Cemetary is a must see. It is incredibly moving, as are the beaches.
The best trips I can recommend are to swing by Giverny, the home of Monet and see his gardens. Mont St. Michael is fabulous as well. Versailles, just outside of Paris, is also interesting if you're into all the glitz and opulence. I thought the Hall of Mirrors was worth the entrance charge.
WHatever you do, just relax and don't overthink it too much. The places you are going are beautiful and if al else fails, there is ALWAYS some wonderful cathedral nearby eberywhere to stop into and look around.
Enjoy your trip!

May 23rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
Lynn

Between the Rouen and Honfleur area there are two lovely drives - one taking you by a series of Abbeys and the other taking you through an area of thatched buildings. I found the Abbey drive mentioned in a Frommers guide book and the thatched buildings we found by picking up a brochure when we were visiting one of the Abbeys (Jumieges). We stayed one night in Jumieges (didn't expect to, it was so quiet and lovely we didn't want to leave) and stayed in a local Gite for 37 Euros a night (including breakfast). Spotlessly clean and no traffic sounds - nothing except the sounds of birds in the morning. One of the best nights of our trip. Jumieges is right on the river and after visiting the Abbey the next morning, we took the car ferry over the river and went on the thatched houses drive (about two hours). I highly recommend it for people who like out of the way places.

May 23rd, 2002, 02:22 PM
B. L.

Thanks to all of you for your ideas!