Non parlo l'italiano

Search

Non parlo l'italiano

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non parlo l'italiano

I don't know how to speak Italian very well, I am going in the end of May. Will I have a huge problem and stick out like a sore thumb? I don't to look like a complete "tour-on," but I'm sure that will be the case from time to time.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Well, if you start now there's no reason you can't have a 500-word vocabulary and a nice store of useful phrases memorized by the end of May. It's not a difficult language.

It's non parlo italiano.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM

You will not have a problem at all especially in cities. You may have a bit more difficulty in rural areas. We find that the more words and phrases you can learn, the more fun it is and the better you are able to pick up the language as you go along.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

I am learning....and I do intend on attempting to communicate this way.....I just don't know how effective I will be. I am an Italian-American, so I want to go unnoticed as a tourist.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what you do, you are unlikely to be seen as anything other than a tourist.

Having said that, a tourist who has taken the time to learn a few phrases, and is willing to try and communicate in the language of the country is always more welcome than one who insists everybody should speak English.

I found that on my first trip to Italy, using "phrasebook Italian", that the vast majority of Italians were extremely friendly, and made every effort to help (including correcting my appalling pronunciation).
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM

In the past 10 years, I've probably spent about three months total in Italy. Your title is a bit more Italian than I speak. You will be fine.

I use a few (very few) phrases and we've traveled in the less traveled heel and toe of Italy as well as off the beaten path throughout the country. We've stayed at places where no one spoke English and we still did fine.

The Italian phrase that will get you the furthest is a smile.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM

"I want to go unnoticed as a tourist"

Why? That's what you are. Why should you be ashamed of it?

The Italian for "Italian-American" is americano. You don't speak the language: you presumably have never campaigned for or against Berlusconi, you don't care whether Italy should rejoin the Eurovision song contest and you're probably a bit vague about the difference between Lazio and AC Roma.

You're an American. Your family left Italy whenever and were clearly so uninterested in their native land they couldn't be bothered teaching you one of the world's most beautiful languages.

And here's what you have to accept. Prosperous countries really aren't interested in the difference between tourists whose ancestors left the country concerned and tourists from the other side of the border. We're all tourists - the difference in Italy being that the French and Germans don't need a passport to enter the country and use its social services, but you do. The Italy your ancestors abandoned isn't the Italy you're going to visit.

It can be depressing the first time you discover that. But why should it matter? Your family's gone on for years quite happily without Italy: why shouldn't Italy manage without you?

Now accept you're just another tourist, then take St Cirq's advice. Learn the Italian for "I don't speak Italian", then take a few months' lessons. They'll help you enjoy the country a whole lot more. The Italians will still know you're foreign, but that doesn't matter. You'll understand what's going on better.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I don't know where you live, but do you get any European tourists visiting there? If so, do you think most of them (even though they probably speak English very well) would be able to talk with you and you NOT know they weren't Americans?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM

I hate to tell you this, Joe, but I studied Italian for a total of about 10 years at various times in my life, and no one in Italy ever failed to notice that I was a tourist. Nor did I care.

And even if you learn a few phrases perfectly and master the pronunciation, what's going to happen when some shopkeeper comes back at you with a torrent of lightning fast Italian? Believe me, you'll be flustered and tongue-tied and everyone within earshot will know you're a tourist.

It's not a bad thing to be a tourist. Now go get started learning some of the language and have a great trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm willing to wager most tourists in Italy do not speak Italian.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Interesting to see people fixation about not looking like a Tourist when traveling abroad..

What the heck..I was born and raised in Rome until I was 20 .When I left the city to follow my American husband around the world.

However, when I go to Italy I still look like a Tourist even before I open my mouth to say anything and the first thing people says to me "You are American.

I dont worry about it and dont get offended or flustered about this reality that indeed I am a tourist.

I just accept the fact that I have acquired a foreign look after living all these years Abroad..
Then when I open my mouth is even worse, I do have a slight foreign accent also..
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:22 AM

In European cities, it is perfectly normal to meet people from other countries. And it is perfectly normal that the travellers do not speak the language.

BTW, most of the strangers are not tourists but travellers on business trips.

We would find it ridiculous trying to conceal oneself's nationality, and the citizens find it interesting to meet people from abroad.

Regarding the language: It is a matter of respect if you learn a handful words of the foreign language like "hello", "good-bye", "thank you". Do not try to learn phrases (which you can find in your travel guide - you will hardly pronounce them correctly).

If you are in Italy and meet an Italian without speaking Italian:

- greet him or her in Italian (ciao is very easy)

- figure out a common language (English, French..)

- use gestures and written information (like an adress for the taxi driver) for communication

- smile and laugh and be generous.