First Trip & on our own??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just finished booking our first trip to Italy and we are NOT using a tour company. Now we are having second thoughts, will we be able to find all the great sights on our own? We don't speak Italian and we will be traveling by train or bus. Did the best we could on Hotels and Apts. from everything I read at this sight.We are starting in Venice, then to Florence and on to Rome. Can you really do all the things you want without speaking the language?
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:10 AM

If you can read - you can manage. Just look at a map. In all touristic Italian areas a lot of English is spoken.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:20 AM

re language: You could take an Italian for travelers language class or get some CDs (perhaps even from library for free) or a language book.

You will be fine getting around. People do it all the time.

I hope you fall in love with Italy like many of us here have! Have a great trip!!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Most people in Italy can speak more than one language, and English is usually one of them. In tourist areas people tend to also have a large vocabulary of words relevant to their job in 5 or 6 or more languages. Waiters are very good at this. Amazing to watch an Italian waiter going from table to table speaking Italian to German to Japanese. Simply ask first. "Do you speak English?" You'll do fine. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:39 AM

You'll be fine. I second the suggestion to listen to some language CD's to familiarize yourself with the basics. It will help to get you into the mood for your vacation as well as helping you to get over any nervousness you might be feeling. Knowing how to ask for and understand the directions to the toilet is a big thing among us women I can do anything if I know that.

At the very least you should have a basic phrasebook and a pocket dictionary with you just in case you encounter a sign you don't understand or a clerk who does not speak English. For our first trip to Italy last year we were in the north and we did indeed encounter many places where noone spoke English at all. But then again we were in very small villages and off the beaten path.

I had listened to language tapes so I was able to check into the hotel and make basic arrangement for purchases with this very limited skill, but it made a big difference in peoples attitude that I was trying to be polite at least in Italian.

You should probably print out the road signs you can find here and have those on hand while driving, that will bring you peace of mind if things get confusing. Here is a great site for that and roadway rules for Italy.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/road_signs/index.htm

Please don't stress about it, there is really nothing to worry about. A phrase book and an apologetic smile will go a long way towards solving any difficulties you may have.

Have a great trip, and don't forget the trip report, we'll be waiting.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Oh I meant to add that after the first few days in Italy you'll start to recognize the signs in Italian and understand them as if they were second nature to you.

Bouna fortuna. (sic, see I can spell poorly now in three languages))
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Absolutely - you will be fine. I definitely agree about checking out some language tapes and learning a bit of italian. Also, get a phrasebook and pocket dictionary. I think the little ones with the plastic yellow covers are great. Read some guide books for where you will be going - they will tell you about all the sights and then you can pick what you want to see.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Hi Vern,

You will have a wonderful time and do just fine on your own. After a couple of days, you'll get the hang of things.

A few helpful things to know:

Trains: arrival/departure tracks (binario) sometimes change at the last minute. Stand where you can see the big sign and watch to see if your train's track changes. Also, go to the trenitalia site and print out the schedules for your days of travel. It's good to know all your options if you need/want to change plans on short notice. With a schedule, you can show a ticket agent the train you want in case you run into someone who doesn't speak English.

Museums/site admission: Most don't take credit cards and are unable to give change for the large Euro notes all the tourists get out of ATMs. Have a good supply of small Euro notes for admissions and audioguides!

Taxis: take taxis only from the taxi stand, don't fall for a gypsy taxi!

Gellato/panini shops/stores: You pay first, get your receipt, and give the receipt to the person you order from.

ATM machines: In the larger cities, "BancoMat" ATMs are everywhere! I found neither of my ATM cards would work in this network, but they would work at actual bank ATMs.

Maps: have very detailed driving and city maps - you'll be able to find everything. If all else fails, follow the throngs who are following the tour guides with umbrellas raised - they will lead you to something!

#1 rule - eat gellato everyday

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Don't worry if you don't speak the language. Relax and enjoy. It is respectful to at least learn a common phrase or two, but you won't have any problems without speaking Italian. The only place we had a little (and I stress little) difficulty was Urbino as fewer people spoke english. However, patience, a phrase book and a smile will get you past that as well.

We were in Florence waiting on line for the Duomo to open. An Italian tourist who spoke no English came over and wanted to know what time the Duomo would be opening. There wasn't a single person in that line that spoke Italian! Finally, an American exchange student came up who could help her. Guess it's easier to be an english-speaking tourist than italian speaking!

As far as finding the sites, it is not difficult at all. Just get a good map and guide book. In Florence most of what you will want to see is centrally located. In Rome, after a few days on our first trip, my husband and I had not trouble finding our way around the city on foot or metro. One of the best things for us was wandering around Florence and Rome.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't worry for even a half second. Italy is very user-friendly, in every way. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Ah, Vern, you're gonna have a grand time - the time of your life - Italy is the most incredibly beautiful place on earth - enjoy! I wanted to share with you what I jsut finished doing - contact now, by email, all your hotels, lodgings, etc.and ask them to get you reservations for all the major points of interest - the Uffizi, the Accademia, etc. and they are always happy to oblige - check out the tour companies for the Vatican, etc. on this site or TripAdvisor and go with the one you are most comfortable with-you can book it all from home and then pay when you get there. And, honestly, try to step into every church you pass - the world's treasures are in them! And, mangia, EAT!!! - enjoy
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It will be fine. Things are not all that different in Europe from your home country. If you are confused, stop and watch what other people are doing... then do that! Have good maps (I like to have paper ones that I write information directly on to) so you aren't trying to ask strangers on the street for directions. Let the people at your hotel front desk (someone will speak English) assist you.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:52 AM

TravMimi,

educate yourself. Go to the European Unions official website, www.euorpa.eu, to learning languages (http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/a...ebs_237.en.pdf), and read the latest EU survey on language abilities in Europe. Most people in Italy DO NOT speak more than one language. Two thirds (64%) of Italian speak only Italian! However, 80% of those how do speak a second language do speak English (29%). So, if you limit yourself to tourist areas and *** hotels, you will probably find enough English speakers to get by.

And, Vern, people travel in Italy all the time without knowing the language. Thoroughly research your trip, find where the sights are, find out in advance the train routes and learn to read the train schedules. Not having to ask for help goes a long way toward leaping the language barrier. And learning a little bit of the language before you go can help. But understand that if you ask a question, you probably won't understand the answer.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your words of encouragement, my husband and I did take a 6 week Italian class, however we still don't feel as though we speak well enough, but after all your comments, I feel MUCH better about it! We're in contact with distant relatives in Palestrina and will be having lunch at their country home!Can't waite! This site gives a first timer so much info, I have found information on almost every question I had. It's great, and I'm sure I'll have more questions before we leave. Love all the help you guys give!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:48 PM

Don't speak Italian? NO problem. I have been many times and through the years I've learned a few basic words, but not much. Most young people speak English and many older people in the tourist areas speak very good English.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM

Hello Vern, I am another one who will encourage you not to get stressed. Way before the internet in the 1970's we flew to Italy to be there for two months. We had studied a bit of Italian before the trip (from records if you can believe, lol) and I have heard the Italian language all of my life but mostly various dialects. But believe me, I did not speak Italian.

Anyway, we landed at Malepensa (Milano) and without knowing what to do we saw a bus..a ticket counter..and got to the Central Train in Milan via the bus. We managed to get a taxi to our hotel. Of course the taxi driver only spoke French but that is another story.

A few days later we got our rental car and spent two months driving around Italy. We had an Italian/English dictionary. We purchased the Italiano Touring Maps (two, one for the north and one for the south) at a book store in Milano.

Absolute heaven!! And we were often in very small villages where not one soul spoke a word of English including the small region of Molise.

You will be fine, honest.

You will be in the three cities that are so use to having tourist from the US. And most if not all Italians that are in the tourist business know enough English that you will not have a problem.

Be excited not scared. And do give us a trip report after you return home and get settled in.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:47 PM

rent a car and make sure you get a geotracker. It will take you wherever you want to go.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:58 PM

I was in Italy for five weeks on my own and I'm a female. I had no problem what so ever. Don't stress, things will be great. Nice route your doing, it's beautiful there. I did stay in hostels though and met up with alot of people who would tell me what they thought was the best to see. You can do it, the language barrier isn't that bad. Alot of italians are friendly and know english.

After traveling on your own you will never go back to tours. Your travel is in your hands. You can stop when you want to stop, you can linger when you want to linger! Go for it.

Ciao

Theresa
www.nomadwannabe.com
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My first trip I did in Italy I had no Italian. Slight panics in smaller hotels but it worked.

I then got a guide book and read the 80 phrases in the back. It got a lot easier.

Then I did a little CD listening and it got easier still.

I still speak terrrible Italian (no I'm not being English ) I mean terrible. But stay calm and talk it through.