Reload this Page >

non driver in u k

Search

non driver in u k

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 09:57 PM
Joyce

non driver in u k

I will be in West Sussex in May, then onto Edinburgh, final week in London. Would Swiss cottage motors do day trips outside of London? Or any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 12:55 AM
Steve

Hello Joyce, <BR> <BR>Are you looking for day-trips by coach or car? I haven't heard of the company you mention, but the following are coach companies which offer a variety of trips from London: <BR> <BR>www.grayline.com <BR>www.evanevans.co.uk <BR>www.goldentours.co.uk <BR>www.visitorsightseeing.co.uk <BR> <BR>Their tours are not cheap, but usually include the services of a guide plus admission to places you visit, e.g. Stonehenge, the Roman Baths at Bath, etc. <BR> <BR>It's possible to visit many places of interest using the National Express coach services which all leave from Victoria Coach Station, and this is less expensive. For info on these, see:- <BR> <BR>www.gobycoach.com <BR> <BR>If you want info on private tours by car, let me know... <BR> <BR>Steve James <BR>Bath, U.K

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 06:55 AM
Dave

Joyce, <BR> <BR>If you are looking for half- or one-day guided tours, I would recommend you find minibus tours (rather than coach tours) when possible. These are usually limited to 6-8 people, with a driver/guide. <BR> <BR>I know that there are several companies which offer minibus day-tours of the Scottish Highlands, leaving Edinburgh from Waverly Bridge. There are a number of itineraries available - details and reservations can be made at the Information Center on Princes' Street. <BR> <BR>Also, if you plan to visit the Lake District, Mountain Goat Tours offers good half-day tours in an area not well served by railways.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 07:48 AM
Patrick

Perhaps you are referring to Swiss Cottage Cars, the company I always mention for Heathrow pick up or delivery? If so, it is a firm of independent drivers with individual cars. They do not do any organized tours as such, but if you are talking about hiring a car and driver for a day trip to places you've already selected --say taking you to Windsor or to Hampton Court and being more on your own while there, yes, I think it is something they do. I understand if this is your desire rather than the usual organized bus tour that takes you where they want including the usual stops at the special "souvenier joints", or being stuck to their schedule. I believe whenever the driver takes me to my flat, he asks if there is anywhere special we want to go during our stay, so presumably they will set up a full day rate -- along with a driver who will be not so great a guide. If this is what you are thinking, you might call them at 44-207-431-2700.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:54 PM
Joyce

Thank you all so much,you have given me much information and a variety of ways to go. This was my first time to Fodors Forum and it certainly can be addictive. Had a little difficulty getting back to my post ,tried the text search without luck. However I its fun to search and read the posts. thanks again, Joyce

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 05:09 PM
Danna

Joyce <BR>I greatly encourage all go travel by coach (bus). You get to see the sights, not have to drive on very small roads, and meet people. Consider it. It's vastly different that the US bus experience!