Non-alcoholic drinks for teens in pubs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for appropriate non-alcoholic drinks a teen can order at a pub? We are leaving July 26 for 2 weeks in England. My husband and I love pubs. I think we are straight on restrictions for underage kids to certain areas or beer gardens (also note many pub websites specify whether they are okay for kids). Our 13-year-old son, like many Americans, is used to swilling quart-size soft drinks filled with ice. From my previous 3 trips to the UK, I know this is not going to work there. What can he order that will come in a larger-than-8-ounce serving (something "cool" in attitude would be a plus)? Perhaps like one can order a sarsparilla for kids in the saloons in western U.S. towns. He is fairly adventurous and will try just about anything once. Any other tips for feeding or quenching the thirst of our bottomless pit in England are also welcome.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Drinks are small in the UK - in pubs soft drinks will be smaller than a US 12oz can (or sometimes as large). And orange/fruit juices will be 1/2 that size. be prepared to buy him one after another after another. Or - better yet - make him buy his own and maybe he'll learn he won't die if he doesn't drink as much as he is used to.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:23 AM

I took my niece & nephew who were 14 & 13 at the time to Scotland, England & France in June of 2001.

I was the mean, old uncle. I told them they got 1 Coke with a meal and if they couldn't make it last they could drink water and tap water at that. I got to give the wonderful old geezer-style lecture that I love to give. "I grew up without unlimited Cokes and 2 weeks won't kill you."

When I'd order my second beer they'd ask about the one drink rule. I'd ask them if they reallllly wanted to see Uncle David without his happy juice.

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Be aware that some pubs, but not all, have signs displayed stating that they do not allow kids under 16 in, unless there's a 'family' or dining area.

Also be aware that, believe it or not, non-alcoholic drinks cost more than beer.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:48 AM

One more thing.....you will probably have to ask for the ice. And even if you ask, you will probably only get about 2-3 skinny bits. So, if you want more ice (especially if you want a completely full glass of ice), make sure you are specific about that.

However, as expensive as soft drinks are in pubs, you will definitely be shorting yourself if your glass is 90% ice and 10% soft drink.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:49 AM

LOL Indytravel! Cheers!
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 10:29 AM
ira

Hi

There are many soft drinks for your kids.

One of the things they will find is that the flavors of these drinks, especially the fruit, are more intense than they are here. Thus, one drinks less of them.

PS It won't hurt him to have an occasional sip (or gulp) of beer. If anything, it will reduce the mystique.

You can also get alcohol-free malt beverages.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Predicting what a child will find to be cool is impossible.

But:
- first, any attempt to buy someone as young as 13 alcohol for consumption in a pub is a criminal offence, and can get the pub landlord into trouble as well. Don't do it.
- but some possible non-alcoholic options might include Roses's lime juice with soda/mineral water in a half- or full pint glass. Or any similarly stretched fruit juice (incl cranberry or orange). Or variants on ginger beer. Remember our pints are 25% bigger than yours, our pint glasses are never crammed with ice and empty space, so a pint of lime juice is likely to be a challenge to most young Americans.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Intrepid

With the greatest of respect I have to agree with the inability to predict what's cool FOR a young person. And it seems that just because Mom and Dad "love pubs" it doesn't necessarily stand to reason that the kiddo does also..or am I missing something here?
The younger one might just as well enjoy staying back in the hotel room or going to a movie, etc.
Why would you take a kid into a place where he cannot have the same COMPLETE experience that his parents are having..and please don't trell me that drinking non-alcoholic beverages is just as complete because it obviously isn't.
Sorry for the rant. Perhaps I should have asked if you've asked your child if he would enjoy going? and if you did and he said Yes! then I apologize.

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Be careful what you order! I got 12-ounce bottles of "Victorian lemonade" for my kids at the Orangery at Kensington Gardens and they were halfway through them before I asked for a sip and realized that they had a couple percent alcohol in them! The kids were 13 and 15 at the time and were served without question. I suppose staff in a pub will be more aware of this stuff.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 01:39 PM

My husband and I ordered lemonade in the pubs we visited and enjoyed it. It was probably a can of Fanta Lemon, but it was quite good.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 11:04 PM

You could always order a pint of Coke or lemonade or whatever (and ask for lots of ice). Or order a pint of lime cordial and soda water (very refreshing) or blackcurrant and soda. This is usually a fairly cheap option.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 11:21 PM

Most pubs will have a "gun" dispenser for mixers, which will have coke, diet coke, lemonade, (possibly diet) tonic and soda in it.

Ask for a pint glass, half filled with ice, made up to the top with something from the gun. It will be the cheapest option for you,a nd the easiest way of getting a large glass of something.

Few drinks come in anything like American "quart" size. The besy you will do from a prepackaged source, I think, is 333cl can.

Sarspailla is pretty rare here.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 11:26 PM

I agree with the poster who suggested ordering a pint of lime and soda, or blackcurrant and soda. It is refresghing and cheap, and it will be 'cool' as it comes in the same pint glasses that beer is served in. NB You can also ask for lime and water, ie. tap water, and that is even cheaper.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 02:57 AM
Sylvia

In London why not ask for a St. Clements?

4 oz Orange juice (Britvic)
4 oz Bitter lemon

Very refreshing. I often ask for it mtself.

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 03:12 AM

That St. Clements sounded really good! I think I'll have to mix myself one when I get home from work today!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:26 AM

When I want a non-alcoholic pub drink, I order "Appletise" ( a brand name for sparkling apple juice). It's delicious 'straight up ' or it can be mixed with club soda/ sparkling mineral water and served in a pint glass.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:57 AM

When I was a teen in England we drank fizzy English lemonade - the type they mix with beer to make a shandy, or with Pimms. Not much ice in the UK, I agree! Some pubs outside the city have nice gardens to sit in which makes a change for everyone. Although you should really sit inside at least once to get the "pub feeling"! My fav lunch was the ploughman's or bangers and mash. Careful ordering cider - it can be VERY alcoholic - but usually a non-alcohol type is available.

To Indytravel-- LOL Thats what we tell our kids when they ask why we can have rum punches at the beach and they can't order a (virgin) pina colada!!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:35 AM
Sylvia

Yes, cider is one to watch. I had an elderly American friend who was befriended by some Australian students in a pub. She had no idea what to order so they suggested cider. She enjoyed it very much even after she'd discovered (hic) that it wasn't quite the same as she got in New England.
As for ice, I sometimes like it in drinks when it's hot. However I sometimes feel that Americans don't realise that ice is actually frozen water. I don't always want my drink diluted.

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:42 AM

My teens take nalgene bottles with them and fill them with water/soda/etc from a market before we start out; ice is an issue all over Europe it seems; they found spezi (speezie) to be great or fanta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -