Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

No PNR code on Trenitalia online ticket?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2017, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just booked a Trenitalia online ticket for travel from Manarola to Venice on June 30. My receipt/itinerary gives PNR codes for 2 (Intercity and Frecciarossa) of the 4 trains for the trip. The other two (Cinque Terre Express and Regionale Veloce) only give "Ticket Code" numbers. From what I've read, PNR codes are required for travel when utilizing online purchase of ticketless travel. Is this correct or will the "Ticket Code" numbers suffice? I'm wondering if I need to go to a ticket machine to print out hard tickets for the two legs of the journey for which no PNR codes are provided?

I hope the above makes sense. I just don't want to assume Ticket Codes are sufficient and get fined for not having PNR codes.

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Old May 17th, 2017, 05:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en/Pu...ket-and-passes
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon - thank you so much for that link! I had printed all the documents available at time of booking but didn't receive an email from Trenitalia with the tickets required. I have a .net email address which I'm thinking is the problem. Thankfully I was able to go online and print out all four PDF's. I wouldn't have known to do that without the link you provided. Again, thank you!
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:02 AM

FYI, if you have a smart phone, Trenitalia's "Trenit" app is really handy for buying train tickets. (In case you need to buy any more.) You don't need to print anything out that way; you get a PDF file you can display on your phone. I used the app last week to buy random train tickets, sometimes near the last minute (but you can't purchase AT the last minute - I think purchase closes about 20 min before train departure).

The app is also handy for checking platforms before arriving at the next station and whether various trains are on schedule. So if you have to rush to catch a connecting train, you can already know as you get off which platform to look for.
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:28 AM

Kybourbon, great help!
Old May 18th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Andrew - Wow! Thank you for the app tip! I'm staying in one town for 8 nights and using it as a base for day trips. Had thought I'd have to buy tickets in machines. This app will make life (and day trips) so much easier! The app is downloading now!
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:56 PM

Unfortunately, Trenitalia won't let you register as a US citizen (assuming you are one), so you'll have to enter your name and birthday every time you buy a ticket with the app. It's a shame the app can't offer to remember that info in the app, at least. But I did it four or five times, a minor inconvenience. I did wind up buying tickets from the machines a few times too, just because I bought my tickets at the last minute. Once I bought one from an agent because there was no line for her and a line at the machine!
Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:39 AM

>>>Unfortunately, Trenitalia won't let you register as a US citizen<<<

I haven't looked at that app yet. Is it Trenitalia's official app as theirs used to have a different name?
Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:47 AM

It must be the official app (I just uninstalled it as I've left Italy). What other 3rd party would sell me regional train tickets in an app and have up to date arrival times of the regional trains?
Old May 23rd, 2017, 02:09 PM

I don't know, but their official app used to Pronto Treno.