Reload this Page >

No offense to the Purist but....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:26 PM
zany

I wanna spend one night in Bangkok. I'm liable to get lambasted by the purist for asking about Bangkok on this forum but...<BR><BR>I have traveled all over Europe and would like some travel help from those of kindred spirit. <BR><BR>This question is for those who love Europe as I do but have also visited Bangkok. After visiting Bangkok and having been to Europe would you return to Bangkok or save your hard earned cash for Europe?<BR>Comments? Difficulties? Bangkok worth one visit only or repeat visits? Having been to Europe and Bangkok, knowing what you now know, if you had to visit only one which would you choose?<BR><BR>Thanks for the help. Sorry for the crossover question but I figured all these forums are for travel help and those who know nothing or care nothing for this question can move on - I often open a thread that is of little interest and move on.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Shadow

Great question! I love Europe but really, really want to go to Thailand someday. I would love to hear the responses to this question too!<BR>Shadow

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:17 PM
mols

One night in Bangkok makes the hard man humble, not much between despair and ecstacy. One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble. Can't be to careful with your company.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 12:08 AM
scigirl

Ok - I'll bite. I was in Bangkok for a week in the past year (and other areas of Thailand too). My question is: Why only one night? Bangkok is a large city - would you be satisfied with only one night in Paris? Rome? Amsterdam? <BR><BR>I've been to Europe (Netherlands, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, etc.) and Asia (Thailand and China). I can't wait for my next trip to Thailand, which hopefully will take place at the end of this year. I'm going to Europe this summer. (Yay!)<BR><BR>Which would I choose? Well, if I hadn't been to Bangkok, I'd choose Bangkok. So, yes - go, it is well worth the effort. Stay for more than one day, get to southern Thailand too. Thailand is a great place for a first trip to Asia - tourist friendly, easy to navigate, good infastructure, friendly people, inexpensive. (China is a bit more difficult - but certainly do-able). Now, that I've been to Asia and Europe (and will visit both again this year) - I'm aiming for Africa for my next 'big trip.'

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Judy

I have been to Thailand many times,Bangkok is a delightful,exotic city,as worth visiting as any big city in Europe;but there are more to see around the countryside,I have enjoyed the northern part most.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:32 AM
zany

scigirl, i would obviously spend more than one night, kinda asked the question to the tune of the song mols finished.<BR>this is a serious question! I have been to europe numerous times and have an intensely strong desire to go to bangkok, china, or bali but need to make things affordable. since i have free tickets anywhere delta flies, since i generally stay at guest houses, i am planning another trip to europe this christmas. unfortunately delta does not service much of the orient. really have no desire to just see another "big" western city in asia such as toyko or hong kong. bangkok tour packages seem fairly expensive over the holiday season.<BR>i guess i just want to know from people who have been to europe and asia, people who I know love the type of travel i enjoy (europe), if they would return to asia given the opportunity. is it worth paying double the money to go to asia rather than europe if you have been to europe and not asia (and have free tickets to europe).

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Jim Rosenberg

I think you would like Bangkok, but it is very difficult for me to draw a lot of comparisons between that experience and European travel. One feature is that you get a LOT for your money there. I've posted some notes at:<BR><BR>http://www.igougo.com/planning/journal.asp?JournalID=8508<BR><BR>One nice thing is that depending on what other travel you do within the air and what airline you choose, you should have an easy time making elite status with that kind of addition to your frequent flyer account. It's something to figure into the equation. The culture, the food, the temples, the shopping and the overall stimulation of that kind of trip make it a very interesting and exciting adventure. I would definitely return and the times are good for that kind of travel in terms of money, etc.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Sjoerd

As others have said, don't stay in Bangkok but visit other parts of Thailand (and Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Viet Nam) as well. <BR>You can normally find tickets from a major city in Europe to Bangkok for around 500 euro return if you book early. So perhaps you can take a free Delta flight to FRA, LHR, AMS, or CDG and fly to Bangkok from Europe. Europe to Bangkok is 10 - 11 hours.