Reload this Page >

No caffeine please!

Search

No caffeine please!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:55 PM
aj

No caffeine please!

I will be leaving for Paris and Rome in a few days. Due to health problems I can not have caffeine. How do I ask for decaff coffee? Will it create a problem?

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:04 PM
a

i don't know how to order decaf. some places do understand 'decaffinated'. i don't know if they have it everywhere but i do know some places in italy did (my daughter likes decaf cappucino). in paris, they also serve a drink in cafes made with hot water, lemon and honey, i'm not sure of the name but it would definitely be caffeine-free.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:11 PM
mark

Decaffinated coffee still has caffeine in it (60% to 40% less than caffinated coffee, if I remember correctly) - you might consider just drinking apertifs, digestifs, wine (not a bad alternative) or just water.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:22 PM
StCirq

To order decaf in France, just ask for a décaf (day-caff). It will still have caffeine in it. If you want something with no caffeine at all, try an infusion, which is basically an herbal tea - you can order mint, verveine, chamomile, and others.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 02:24 PM
peter

in itak=ly ask for caffe decafenato. its everywhere and not hard to get.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 02:31 PM
scigirl

I really didn't have much trouble getting decaf in Europe. When I couldn't recall the correcting wording falling back on "decaf" or "decaffinated" was usually enough to be understood. <BR> <BR>Just a note on the above comments regarding decaf - yes, it does contain some caffeine - approx. 2-5mg compared to regular (American brew) coffee that has 80-200mg of caffeine per cup (coffee in Europe is often brewed stronger). Hot chocolate also has 5-10mg of caffeine. These levels are very low and most people don't notice the caffeine unless they are very sensitive to it. <BR> <BR>I hope this helps - enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 02:32 PM
scigirl

I really didn't have much trouble getting decaf in Europe. When I couldn't recall the correcting wording falling back on "decaf" or "decaffinated" was usually enough to be understood. <BR> <BR>Just a note on the above comments regarding decaf - yes, it does contain some caffeine - approx. 2-5mg compared to regular (American brew) coffee that has 80-200mg of caffeine per cup (coffee in Europe is often brewed stronger). Hot chocolate also has 5-10mg of caffeine. These levels are very low and most people don't notice the caffeine unless they are very sensitive to it. <BR> <BR>I hope this helps - enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Chris

Italian-Caffe senza caffeina <BR>German-Koffeinfrei <BR>French-Cafe sans cafeine <BR> <BR>Taken from my package of Decaf. here in Switzerland