Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nina, Julia, Jon, other Croatia experts-help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 03:16 PM
Deborah

I have been doing research for the Croatia part of my trip but I am stuck on getting around to the islands once there. I am planning on just doing Split to Dubrovnik and a few islands in between such as Hvar and Korcula. I would rather not backtrack to Split each day but would rather make my way to Dubrovnik through the islands. Are there places to leave luggage when getting off the Ferry? Would I be okay with a day trip in Hvar but then moving on to another island for the night? Or is Hvar a place I should stay? I would love to see the Lakes and Opatija but without a car I think that will be too difficult. Thanks for any help.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 03:43 PM
KK

By all means, stay on Hvar at least one night! It's charming.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 12:53 PM
Gina B

Deborah-You might check and see if on the jadrolinja website you can e-mail them questions such as these. We were there last year and stayed on Hvar which was beautiful but didn't travel to any other islands.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 02:05 AM
Tim

I agree with KK. Hvar is so beautiful, definitively worth staying few days or even a week. Lot of things to do and to explore. <BR>You can easily reach Opatija (Rijeka) from either Split or Dubrovnik by Jadrolinija's ferries. <BR>www.tel.hr/jadrolinija <BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 11:12 AM
NINA

Deborah, <BR>Hvar is definitely worth spending the night! Hvar island has a main city also called Hvar... it's a lovely little town with charming narrow walkways - and good pizza, I might add. There is a fortress that is a must see. You can get an incredible view of the marina and little islands off in the distance. <BR> <BR>You can also take a trip to another cute town called Starigrad on the island of Hvar from the city of Hvar to a Starigrad. About an hour/two away. You will be pleasantly surprised of the lavender scent in the air! <BR> <BR>I am not sure if there are places to leave luggage.... sorry.