Nightmares of Italy!

Search

Nightmares of Italy!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nightmares of Italy!

Maybe all the planning and research for my Sept trip is getting to me! Last night I had a dream that the whole trip was only four days in Rome, and then I wasn't feeling well the first day and a half so didn't do much. To add insult to injury, I was on a tour, and the tour guide didn't know anything, so we didn't even see the Colosseum or anything else of interest! Maybe I need a break...!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm guessing this is a sure sign of trip planning overload? I suggest take some time off (but I have to say your dream made me laugh). Kindly, s.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Open a good bottle of wine and start your trip early! I was anxiety-ridden right before our trip too! Everything will be fine and you only have so much control from here.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I don't feel anxiety-ridden when I'm awake, only when sleeping!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Hi SusanP, planning for a trip can be stressful and I believe (from personal experience) that often anxiety shows up during our sleeptime.

If you are not leaving until September I would take a break from all the planning. And may I suggest if you have not, to make a list of everything that you will need to do before leaving (photocopies, calling credit card companies, banks where you have ATM cards etc.) All that can be done later but just having a notebook with the "to do list" can take some pressure off of you.

Take this weekend and just take good care of yourself. And Italy in September will be beautiful. Lucky you!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:08 PM

I have to say that I understand this feeling of panic. We are leaving for our long-planned 30th anniversary trip to Italy in less than 3 weeks and even tho most of the time I feel like things are under control (survived the passport renewal scare, bought luggage, printed checklists, changed ATM password to 4 digits, etc), there are those moments. Just yesterday I had to go in my closet and open some drawers to reassure myself I really did have most of a travel wardrobe so that I would be panic shopping. However, if anyone wants to call me on July 5th as I am packing, and wondering what were we thinking in having everyone at our house for a July 4th barbecue, feel free to bring the panic-mometer. Last time we were in Europe, all our children were home for the summer and yes, there were parties. This year we're down to one child and let's just say, the panic attack gets replaced by the evil-eye.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Hi SusanP, I have been thinking about your thread and something has gone through my mind. The first time we went to Italy in the 1970's it was for two months. We had all necessary documents, lira, traveler checks (they were the big thing back then), credit cards, airplane tickets and a reservation for the first night in Milan plus the rental car reservation two days later. That was it!

The most fabulous two months ever.

I think that due to the overload of information new travellers to Europe are so stressed out. Add in the confusion of "what cell phone, where are the internet cafes, trying to find the perfect lodging, the perfect restaurant etc" that planning a trip in these days is terrible.

We did not have an itinerary. We landed at Milpensa and quite frankly did not know how to get to Milan. But after going through customs saw a booth for a bus to the train station in Milan. Arrived there. Got a taxi to our hotel. And oh yes, the taxi driver only spoke French, LOL.

I think the overload of information is causing a lot of stress. But that is just my opinion. If I had all the information in the 1970's that I have now I am not sure I would have wanted to go to Italy. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. But I am sure a lot of travellers would not agree with me.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! Actually, I'm in good shape with my planning, all hotels booked, opera ticket and Scavi reservation in Rome, etc (and will be getting them in Florence as well).

I've been around Fodors for a long time and have planned trips to Paris, London/Paris and Las Vegas/Sedona/Grand Canyon with all the help here. The difference here is that I'm going by myself (although I'm not really afraid to travel alone). I do like to have things laid out, mostly to avoid showing up at a museum or church when it's closed and to group things by area to avoid crisscrossing back and forth across a city, thereby wasting a lot of time. That said, I have 17 nights in Italy, so I can do all that and still have time to sit in a park or at a cafe or in a Tuscan village and watch the world go by. And I'm keeping hotel costs down so I can afford a private driver a few times. I know I will love the whole trip!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Susan, I spend most of my life traveling and before EVERY trip, I have similar nightmares.

In my case its usually around business meetings: A recent example: I am supposed to be in London for an important meeting with a client and find myself in Dubrovnik instead (God knows why, I have never been there!), trying to plan how to get to London in an hour, when the only available transportation is a bicycle! In this alternative universe, it IS actually possible to get from Dubrovnik to London in “just over” an hour by bicycle. I worry about calling my colleagues, to alert them that I will be a little late, but I have forgotten to charge my cell-phone. Then I have to figure out how to strap my very large luggage to the bicycle.

Sometimes the dreams are so real that I feel I should write a trip report

These dreams are always unsettling and I wake up, like you, feeling anxious. I get comfort and reassurance by being able to “touch” and confirm the really important things around the trip. For example, I look at my ticket and ensure that the times and dates are correct. I ensure that my passport is up to date. I check to see that the hotel for the first night is confirmed. If I have hired a car, I make sure it is for the correct dates at the right location. I make sure that my credit card is valid. I make a list of the important things I can’t do without and I must do before leaving (in the above case, charge my phone and bring the charger with me). I print out my e-ticket, my hotel reservations etc. I have to admit, there have been times when the dream has revealed that I have forgotten something or I have a problem with my ticket, but I am careless by nature.

The important thing to remember is that as long as your flight details are correct, you have a conformed hotel room for the first night, and you have a valid credit card, that is all you really need; everything will work out well.

BTW: Please take Motor_City_Girl’s advice: A bottle of wine shared with your traveling companion will ease your anxiety.

Best of luck and have a wonderful trip.

Regards Ger
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Hi SusanP, just read your last post. It sounds like you have everything planned out quite well. I envy you, I wish I was going to Italy by myself in September. And September is a beautiful time to be in Italy.

Again, just give yourself a "break" this weekend. Planning a trip can be exhausting. From what you have said I am sure you will have a very special time in Italy. Take good care, and try to relax in these coming weeks. I bet you do need a break from planning your Italian trip, although that can be wonderful too. Best wishes.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Ger, Your dreams remind me of a recurring one I have (even though I've been out of high school/college for MANY years) where I either don't have my homework done, don't have the correct book for the next class and no time to go get it, or I don't have my schedule and don't know where my next class is. This from a person who never missed a class and never turned in a homework assignment late! Don't ask me where that dream comes from!

Don't worry, I will enjoy the wine both before and during the trip!

LoveItaly, I have a bunch of friends coming to dinner tomorrow night, so I will have a great weekend!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 09:15 PM

SusanP, I understand there is a lot of pressure your looking for rooms all over God knows where and your booking planes cars,and trains.You want everything perfect,but in some ways its like throwing darts .I personally have a favorite one or two members that I follow. As far as your dreams My hobbie is going to shrinks,and dreams happen when your inhibitions are at there lowest.Many times when I am drifting off Ihave my worst thoughts.You drop your guard so to speak and bang. The good news is everyone on this board has started with there first trip and look at all the knowledge.Relax and have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 09:57 PM

Susan- you're trip sounds wonderful and I hope to see a trip report when you get back. 17 days alone in Italy, able to do whatever you want and go wherever you want with no one nagging you or whining! Ah, sounds like paradise!
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories and dreams. It is interesting to see how different people's anxiety expresses itself while we sleep.

Again I have to agree with something LoveItaly touched upon. While I am a huge fan of the internet, sometimes I feel that the overload of information potential is not the most helpful.

Heck in early trips I traveled with very little money, no credit card, no back up plan, etc. Not that I would be comfortable doing that now, but you really can travel without an hourly itinerary, international cell phone, access to internet cafes, laptop, 8 ways to get money, etc. etc.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 08:43 AM

I'm going to Italy in September as well. I started out planning the trip like mad, creating a spreadsheet of all the details. A few months into it, my husband lost his job, and we turned our attention to managing a reduced household budget and job hunting. Now I'm planning a move to Austin, Texas in July, and haven't looked at my Italy trip in a few months. I'm starting to panic also.

I had hoped by now, that I would be done with my Italian language tapes and have my travel wardrobe purchased, but no. I managed to grab a few things in Austin between the house-hunting outings. Don't even know where the language tapes are at this point.

At least I have tickets and lodging. The rest may be by the seat of my pants, but I'll have a great time anyway. Once I hit the airplane, I'm on vacation and nothing else matters.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 07:39 PM

SusanP,
Your recurring school nightmare so resembles mine, differs in that I usually showed up in a classroom for a final never having opened a book. And for years I thought I was the only person who had that dream!
Italy will be wonderful and I'm sure your trip will be perfect.
Marcia
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

suze & LoveItaly, of course, make a good point about too much planning. I was in Switzerland during college. It was an organized tour for skiing that included several daytrips to various ski resorts, but I certainly didn't do any research (not even a guidebook) for the time we had to ourselves. The trip was fantastic!

DesertSue, I'm sure glad I'm not in the middle of moving! Although, we moved two years ago in July and then my mother & I went to London & Paris that same Sept and I managed to have it pretty well planned, just ran out of time when it came to London restaurants. I had a few written down and we made out fine. As I mentioend, I really don't feel anxious when I'm awake! Can't wait for the trip...
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM

I agree that the information overload creates a situation where one has to say enough is enough in terms of what is required to make a decision. It helps, of course, if one's budget isn't too tight because it is easier to find a "perfect" four star hotel than a "perfect" budget hotel. I guess the alternative to information overload is to put yourself in someone else's hands (a travel agent) and just fork over the $$$. This is still the approach of a lot of travelers, and they manage to have a pretty good time. On the other hand, do-it-your-selfers probably get more bang for their buck and learn a lot about where they are going in the process of planning. Just a different style that may appropriate for some people at some points in life.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Well, victoria, if I were depending on a travel agent, I probably WOULD be anxiety-ridden! I live in a rural area, and although our local travel agent is very competent (and is actually a friend), I'm quite sure that I know more about Italy than she does.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 02:29 PM

SusanP and Socaltraveler --

I know this is off the topic of travel anxiety but I graduated from UCLA many moons ago but I still have a recurring dream of being on campus and not being able to find my classes. In fact, the whole semester goes by and I fail because I am still looking for those rooms.

I wonder what it means for the three of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -