Search

nightclub Paris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 08:24 AM
caro

nightclub Paris

<BR>Please help can anyone tell me what is a chanson club there is one near our hotel called Au Linonaire would like to get the address and show times <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 09:13 AM
Christina

Caro, I believe you got this information from me on another post, in which I gave you the exact web site of the club which contains all of that information on it (imonaire.free.fr). What problem did you have with it? At least the address should be clear, it is at the top of the homepage (18 cite bergere). If you gave up because of the French (I think there is no English page), I will try to answer these questions from the web site. First, look at the left hand bar--you will see "accueil" which means "welcome" and is general info; you will also see "le plan" which means "map" and you should click on that and print out the map as I told you this street is not easy to find (c'est ici means "it's here" and refers to the club). The "programmes" button is the programs, of course, and you should at least see performers listed by date of the month that you want to go. Okay, chanson is the traditional French singing many people think of which is not easy to find any more--like what Edith Piaf, Charles Aznavour, Jacques Brel, Yves Montand, etc sang (I suppose Maurice Chevalier and Charles Trenet if you go back further, but you probably aren't familiar with them). This is an authentic Parisian club with traditional chanson and a lot of younger chanson singers sing there, but it is traditional in format and style; there will be few tourists or English-speakers there. Okay, if you want to go, the Accuel page says that shows Tu-Sat nights start at 10 pm; there is no cover charge, but this page says the performers are playing for you to donate what you wish, so after a performer sings, they will pass the "chapeau" (hat) and you should put in some money for the performer. In addition to the trad. signing at 10 pm, there are special shows on Sunday nights at 6 pm: on the 1st Sun of the month, there is dancing to trad French music (accordion, piano, etc); the 3rd Sun of the month has a silent film with piano accompaniment; and the 2nd & 4th Sun of the month are sort of open-mike, amateur night. When looking at the program, "chanson" after a person's name means a singer, "humour" and "poesie" means comedy (suggest you skip that, you won't get it unless you know very fluent French) and poetry, of course. I'm not familiar with the performance term "chanson contees" but it literally means "story songs" so I can visualize what that might be, more spoken, long things; I would stick to the "chanson" performances. Oh, you can also eat there with the performance, they want reservations for that (01-45-23-33-33), and say something about being sure to get there early if you want to eat as service is completely interrupted by the performance (I think they mean servers will not be coming around during the performance). I hope this answers your questions. There are some other chanson clubs that advertise and have more tourists (ie, Au Lapin Agile on Montmartre, even tour groups go there), but this will be a more authentically French experience.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 10:01 AM
carol

<BR>thank you Christina I was unable to get the site I wil try again we will be going to this club it is wat we were looking for thanks again

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 11:03 AM
Christina

I can get it on my computer without any trouble, so try again--sometimes my ISP does not work and I can't reach certain sites even though I know they are good. Be sure you spell it correctly EXACTLY as I typed it (the first time) I made a typo above, it is http://limonaire.free.fr <BR>note that there is no www on this address; sometimes people add that even when you don't include that in the URL, I've noticed (and, I've noticed an irritating custom that many magazines and newspapers now are dropping the www in front of URLs even though it is supposed to be part of the address and some URLs have it and some don't). Any way, if you are staying right near it, I would definitely go, it should be a lot of fun. In fact, since there is no cover, you could pop in a few times on the different nights for kicks--I would like to hear the old accordion, piano etc French music on the Sunday eve dance night, you can't find that easily and I'm sure French people think it's completely dorky, but I kind of have a fondness for it. <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Christina

Not sure if this was the problem, prob just a typo like me, but you spelled LIMONAIRE wrong (you wrote linonaire with an n), so be sure to check that

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 03:17 PM
sam

You might want to use a search engine like go.com or yahoo.france. Just a thought

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 06:49 AM
carol

<BR>thank you all ,Christina you are great it did work with your help

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 12:09 PM
upsy daisy

<BR>Up for TCC