Night Train Venice to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone experienced the night train from Venice to Paris?
How comfortable is the couchette for 4 people in the 1 cabin. Is there any difference between this and the sleeper cabin? I will be booking for 3 people to sleep in the same cabin.
From Australia, I somehow cannot find a way to book the sleeper cabin.
Has anyone any experience on this?
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:42 AM

This site offers a lot of info:
http://www.seat61.com/thello-train-f...s-to-italy.htm

You should be able to use the Trenitalia site to make your reservations. It's a little complicated but just follow the directions on seat61.
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:52 AM
ira

Hi S,

www.trenitalia.com shows the Venezia San Lucia --> Paris Lyon night train dep at 19:57, Arr 09:29 for 120E pp.

A 3-bed compartment, which is what you want, is 140E pp.

You can purchase online 90 days out.

Enjoy your visit.

Old May 12th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
This is the Thello train. You can look at the differences on their website.
https://www.thello.com/a-bord/Votre_confort/index.html

You can get a discount for the couchette (if not sold out) by selecting the Smart fare (55€ each)in the "more fares" drop down box. It's only available for 4 and 6 person couchettes (35€ for the 6 person).
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD

>>>>You can purchase online 90 days out.<<<<

You can purchase on Trenitalia 120 days out.
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:27 PM

My husband,myself and our then 14 year old son took the night train from Venice to Paris in July of 2008. We booked the 3 bed sleeper cabin on the trenitalia website.

It was very small and the seats were made up into the bunk beds (three stacked one on top of the other) while we had dinner in the dining car.
There was a small sink which folded down from the wall so you could brush your teeth and wash your face, we had to share the toilet which was down the hall and there were no shower facilities. Once we were in our bunks it was actually quite comfortable although the top one was VERY close to the ceiling but my son seemed to enjoy that.

If you are going to do this make sure you don't have a lot of luggage, or large luggage pieces. We each had a 19 or 20 inch roller bag and I had a tote bag and they each had a small backpack and this luggage barely fit in the room. There was a lot of juggling and maneuvering involved!
We witnessed a couple with very large bags and they could barely get them down the hallway and I don't think they fit in their cabin as they were complaining loudly then and later in the dining car about that ( and pretty much about everything about the train).

It all worked out well for us although I wish I'd known in advance there would be no shower and no private toilet.