Night train Venice to Naples

Jan 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Night train Venice to Naples

Hello!

I've seen a number of references here and on Slow Travel to the Night train that leaves Venice at midnight and gets to Naples at 10 am; trouble is, I can't find this option on Trenitalia. Does it not exist any more?

Thanks for any information!
Jan 20th, 2008, 01:41 PM

It still runs: ICN-771 "Marco Polo." I just found it on Trenitalia; leaves Venezia S. Lucia at 4 minutes after midnight. If it doesn't run every day of the week you might not have found it on the date for which you searched.
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Hello Musicteacher,

I'm obviously doing something wrong. When I search by date, I can only get trains that show a change at Roma and arrive in Naples very early in the am. I just now tried to search by the number you cited and I get a train that arrives at 4:00 am. Can I ask you how I can find the Marco Polo on their site? We are hoping to take this train on July 8th.

I thought I could find my way around most websites, but this one has me baffled...

Grazie!
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM

No, no, travelling circus. The train station in Venice proper is the Santa Lucia train station.

The airport outside of Venice is the Marco Polo airport.

Do you have the english version for trenitalia? If not here it is.

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM

If I use tomorrow's date, details of the train are displayed on Trenitalia's website. It appears in the Thomas Cook timetable running daily. 'Marco Polo' is the name of the train. It actually starts from Udine and Trieste; the two trains are combined at Venezia and continue overnight to Napoli. There are couchettes, 1-, 2- and 3-berth sleeping compartments, and Excelsior sleeping compartments which have showers and WCs.
The train won't appear on the booking system yet for July. Bookings do not open this far in advance.
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Love Italy, I knew the name of the station but was repeating the name of the Train Line(as cited by Music Teacher), In any case, using the link you provided, and the exact time that MusicTeacher provided, I have just found the information I was looking for! Many thanks to you both!
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Great travelliong_circus (I love your screen name!). Have a wonderful time in Italy.
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi Geoff,

We posted at the same time so I hadn't seen your message. Thanks for this detailed information on the available accomodations! I've heard that you can only reserve 60 days out. Do you have any idea how quickly these things book up? i.e. will I need to jump right in and reserve at the first possible moment?

G'night.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:58 AM

If you're travelling on 8 July, it's a Tuesday which isn't normally a busy night. I've rarely had any problems booking sleepers a week or two in advance.
The 'Excelsior' sleeping car includes a "matrimoniale" compartment with a double bed, but there's only one of these, so it may get booked early (on the other hand, it's the most expensive, so may be the last to sell).
May 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Okay, now that I am in the 60 day Trenitalia ooking window (yippee!), I can't find that Venice to Naples night train again. Would you patient and helpful people please tell me if the "Marco Polo" (ICN 771) which leaves Venice at four minutes past midnight is still running? I have been waiting to book our tickets and am concerned it no longer exists as it does not come up when I search on the 8th or 9th of July -- we'd want to travel through the night of the 8th/9th.
May 15th, 2008, 06:01 AM

I suspect the complete summer schedules are not yet posted. At trenitalia, I tried to find the "Marco Polo 771" for everry day, backing up from your desired date of July 9. It came up for June 15, so I'm thinking that's the cut-off date for summer schedules.
May 15th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Ellen. I guess I'll keep checking...
May 15th, 2008, 08:46 AM

It's not clear whether it's just that these Riviera Night trains (Nice-Rome/Venice) are not loaded yet or indeed, as long been rumored, scrubbed and no one seems to know for sure

I would not count on these night trains running after June 12 or whatever the advent of summer schedules
May 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM

I booked 3 couchettes on Venice-Nice night train for 7th June. Maybe we did it just in time, but what a shame if it's stopping.
May 19th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Oh no! PalenQ, I truly hope that is not the case as it will mess up my Naples/Ercolano/Positano transfer and tours. Should I call Trenialia? Ask our travel agent?
Jan 3rd, 2010, 05:53 PM

I took ICN771 in early September 2008 - a great ride. My wife and I took it from Venice to Rome. We traveled in a sleeper compartment for just the two of us. Not the greatest night sleep in the world - but not horrible either. I'd recommend this train to anyone.