Reload this Page >

Nice writing paper in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 06:23 AM
writer

Hello. Looking to find some lovely and/or real unique writing/art papers. Any suggestions?

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Rex

A quick search on Yahoo for "stationers Paris" brough up this list - - I don't know why it comes from Yahoo.DE (Deutschland) - - maybe the Germans appreciate this stuff more than the French themselves? (just kidding)<BR><BR>Boutique Montblanc 47, rue de Rennes, Paris, 75006<BR><BR>Graphigro 133, rue de Rennes, Paris, 75006<BR><BR>Marie Papier 26, rue Vavin, Paris, 75006<BR><BR>Samaritaine (La) 19, rue de la Monnaie, Paris, 75001<BR><BR><BR>But from a generic standpoint, let me recommend overall the Carrousel du Louvre, which is a terrific underground "mall" right adjacent to the entrance of the Louvre (i.e., at the bottom of the "pyramid"). I know I have seem lots in there - - art/poster stores, papers, other souvenirs, knicknacks for a person's desk, etc.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Christina

Rex, probably because "stationer" is a German word, not French.<BR><BR>A stationery shop is called "papeterie" in French. They seem to be all over, I can't recommend one in particular as I forget the ones I liked (I don't shop for that much) but you can find them in the phone book under that name. I do remember reading an article about one that was really avant-garde and I think it might be that one named Marie (above) in the 6th arr.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Rex

I actually thought of stationer as an English word - - I did search both Yahoo.com (USA) and yahoo.fr using the term papeterie, but thislist came up from yahoo.de even though I started on yahoo.com - - I didn;t explain that very well.<BR><BR>Anyhow, my first and foremost recommendation remains the Carrousel du Louvre, just because it's a fun and attractive collection of shops with a very familiar American-mall-style appearance, it's very centraly located, and many tourists are going to be in that vicinity anyhow.<BR><BR>I agree with you, writing papers and art papers are not something that a person ought to have to go out of the way in Paris to find. All over europe, these are great things to shop for, because there are lots.<BR><BR>And not to be snide, "writer" - - but you're a writer because you like it - - not necessarily by profession, perhaps?<BR><BR>"real unique"? - - the grammar police are sure to come complain about that one soon. Writers aren't supposed to use modifiers with "unique", are they?<BR><BR<BR><BR>Not a personal attack...<BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Capo

Hi writer. Like Christina, I can't remember (and therefore recommend) any one papeterie in particular but I recall seeing a lot of them in Paris. In fact, these are among my favorite kinds of stores in Paris, and elsewhere in Europe.<BR><BR>I know there are some in the 5th, in the area around the Sorbonne, and you might also try the area around the Fine Arts School, the Ecole des Beaux Arts.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:51 PM
mimi taylor

Ecriture & Cie,<BR>9 place de la Madeleine in the 8th,<BR>also recommend Marie papier.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 03:42 PM
writer

Wowie gazowie! Great tips! And I'm touched you did a search for moi, Rex. Thank you everyone.<BR><BR>Well, darn good thing I'm not a writer by profession, I would have been offended. Yet, I sure had my hopes.....sigh, they are now dashed. LOL! Just seemed an appropriate name since I don't like to use my real one.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 07:18 PM
lisa

You might look at shops in the Viaduc des Arts. Here's a web site for them: http://www2.paris-avenue.com/us/tours/01_02_27/<BR>It's fairly close to the Bastille. It's an old railroad viaduct that has been converted to shops of artists and craftspeople, who produce their works on site. It's a lot of fun! They have at least one paper store - maybe more. If it's pleasant weather, you can walk along the gardens on the top and see the new aparts that line the viaduc. It's a different view of Paris - a more modern part of the city, and quite intriguing. The shops are beneath, in the arches of the viaduct. Enjoy!

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 07:37 PM
graphing

When I think of the French,I don't think of decent writing paper-All I've ever received from them is written on graph paper........?