NIce worth the trip?

Mar 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

NIce worth the trip?

On my first trip to Europe in July my original destinations were London, Paris and Amsterdam. I was wondering if it was worth taking the trip to Nice and how long would it take from Paris.
Mar 19th, 2006, 02:51 AM

Paris to Nice is under six hours by TGV and eleven hours by the night train. Nice is well worth visiting and also makes a great base for daytrips to nearby towns and villages by either train or bus. Are you an art lover? Nice and the surrounding area have the best museums in France outside of Paris. Warning: The Cote d'Azur is mobbed in July. Book early.
Mar 19th, 2006, 02:58 AM

Agree with Tim. Nice is wonderful BUT, it's not a quick trip from Paris. How much time do you have? Would you drop Amsterdam and replace it with Nice? Why not share your itinerary and tell us about your interests?
Mar 19th, 2006, 03:04 AM

nice is one of my favourite places. however, you need to consider the big picture of your holiday...how many days is it?

I would not recommend doing it unless you had a minumum of say, 4 nights in nice. for myself, i would not do it with less than about a week in nice. you do have to travel on to amsterdam so if you pack this into to short a timeframe, your trip will seem like one big train ride. you might consider forgetting amsterdam and replacing it with nice...that way, you hit 2 northern capitals and one resort area.

i would avoid nice in july but that's just me. many people like the party atmosphere with so many people.
Mar 19th, 2006, 03:50 AM

For how long are you going? If this trip is less than a 3-week trip, I wouldn't even consider it. There is already quite a bit of transport logistics on you trip to keep piling distance and potential for backtracking.

The Cote D'Azur deserves a trip on its own. It is an absolutely gorgeous, unique, culturally rich region, which should not be rushed.
Mar 19th, 2006, 05:27 AM

Nice is one of my favorite cities, and I often go in July or August. The city is particularly lively in the summer, with plenty of outdoor entertainment along the seaside promenade- sometimes until the early hours of the morning.

Day trips to most of the cities and towns along the coast can be done easily by train or bus. I'd particularly recommmend trips to St. Paul de Vence and Eze.

EASYJET flies from Paris to Nice from CDG. The trip takes just over an hour.
Mar 19th, 2006, 05:33 AM

A quick thought- to save time and backtracking, maybe you can fly into Paris and out of Amsterdam. TRANSAVIA, a budget carrier, flies bewteen Nice and Amsterdam.
Mar 19th, 2006, 05:37 AM

I like to take the train when time allows. However, for the sake of completeness you should know that easyJet flies to Nice from Orly as well as CDG.
Mar 19th, 2006, 09:14 AM
mjs

I am just going to go out on a limb and say no you should not do Nice on your first trip to Europe. I would recommend no less than a full 2 weeks time to visit London/Paris/Amsterdam for a first time. This would not include your transatlantic time. If you had 3 weeks I would consider adding someplace in Italy like Rome or Venice, or if you wanted to stay closer to your original destinations, Germany or perhaps Switzerland. I like Nice and southern France but not in July and not just for a very short trip. As I strongly suspect your trip is of two weeks duration or less, I would stick to your original plans.
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM

I think the answer to your question really depends on how long you have for your vacation, and what kind of traveler you are. Do you prefer seeing the highlights of a city then moving on, or do you prefer savoring the sights and basing in one spot for several days?

If you give us some of these answers, we can probably offer better recommendations.

Also, as far as Nice goes, it really depends how you feel about crowds and heat. We love Nice in the summer because it attracts such a diverse crowd from all over the world. There's an endless parade of people along the promenade, and tons to do, but you have to enjoy the intensity of the summer months there.