Nice to Cinque Terra

Jul 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Nice to Cinque Terra

In the beginning of Sepember, we wish to travel from Nice to CT. We will spend a few days in Nice, the day trip around the area (recommendations please), then go on to CT for a few days and end in Rome for our trip back to USA. We have about two weeks. Major help is needed for transportation which we prefer timely, easy (we are senior citizens). Can anyone recommend an itinerary that would include some accommodations, and travel? We've been to the major cities on tours, and just want to poke around Rome a days or so before leaving. Does it make sense to go to Rome, or is it better to return from CT to Nice for a return flight?
Jul 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM

In 2006 we travelled from Nice to CT by train, having arrived in Nice a day before following a cruise. Our plan was to work our way back to Rome. We stayed three nights in CT and 2 in Lucca, and then on to Rome. Both stops were delightful, but neither quite long enough for us. The trip from Nice to CT was very convenient and quite pleasant, most of it with very nice views (when not in tunnels.) It's been a few years, so i don't remember train numbers, etc., only that the times worked out conveniently. We boarded around 10:30 AM and arrived about 3:30 or 4:00. There is a train change in Genoa. Be VERY careful about pickpockets in Nice train station. I came as close as ever to losing a wallet to a professional team, but thankfully I had taken the time that morning to zip wallet into the security pocket of my shoulder bag. I didn't think it could happen, as everything else seemed so orderly and gentil.
We didn't stay in CT directly, but in Levanto - the last town to the west before the 5 villages. We very much enjoyed Levanto and the train connections to the villages are inexpensive, very frequent, and take just a few minutes. We stayed at the Nationale in Levanto and I would highly recommend it for a mid-price option.Whether you are hikers or sightseers, I think you will love Cingue Terre. The ferry that goes from village to village is also reasonable and conveniently scheduled --beautiful views! Enjoy.
Jul 5th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Hi Jerry
We travelled from Nice to the Cinque Terre about a month ago.
We purchased train tickets from Nice to Monterosso, one of the 5 villages of the Cinque Terre. The train left about 10.00 - 10.30 a.m. and involved a train change in Genoa which was very straightforward (we had about 30-40 minutes, plenty of time to find our platform). We arrived in Monterosso just after 3.00 p.m. We stayed in a B & B called Antica Terrazza which was just lovely - very clean, central location, with a brilliant hostess, Raffaella. Raffaella spoke good English and was always willing to help with restaurant recommendations, train timetables etc.

We loved the CT. From Monterosso we caught the morning ferry to the first village Riomaggiore and then walked the path back to the village of Monterosso. The views from the ferry were stunning and by taking the ferry to Riomaggiore and walking back - we didn't have to worry about catching a ferry or train back to our B & B at the finish as we were already there.

In Nice, we were only there for a day and half. We took an all day tour of the Riviera as felt this was the best way of seeing things in a short space of time. As there were six of us we were able to book a private tour for the same price as a group one. Costs were 80 euros per person and included visits to Eze, Monaco, St Paul de Vence, Cannes and St Tropez. In Eze we did a tour of the Fragonard Perfume Factory. Loved St Paul de Vence, very pretty hilltop village with lots of artshops etc. We also enjoyed Monaco and as we were there just before the Grand Prix we got to see all the stands etc being set up for this.

From the Cinque Terre we took the train to Pisa, checked our luggage in at the railway station there and spent a couple of hours looking at the leaning tower etc. We then recovered our luggage and took a 3.00 p.m. train to Rome. In Rom we stayed at Nicolas Inn - another B & B. This was very close to the Colisseum and was run by a couple, of which the wife was American. Costs were 160euro a night including breakfast. Spacious room and very clean.

Hope these comments help.
Jul 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Jerry - You mentioned being senior citizens...and huett mentions taking the ferry (it's not really a ferry, it is a tour boat) from Monterosso to Riomaggiore and "then walked the path back to...Monterosso". Be aware that it is a bit more than "walking a path". Riomaggiore to Monterosso is a seven-mile hike, and only the first part, Riomaggiore to Manarola is an easy walk. You can, however, take the train between all five towns. Be sure to read some guidebooks on the area, too. It is a beautiful area, especially in the early mornings and evenings.
Jul 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Wow. We have been really making up our minds about doing the trip and your comments just reinforced our decision. We will make our flight reservations with British Air, very good prices. Should I stay in Nice and take the train to the beautiful French towns, one of the smaller villages and rent a car. September should be a little less travelled. We would rather train. We'll allow about four days in France and then head into Italy. We will allow 5 days in CT. Do you recommend that same hotel or should we break the stay into two locations? We've been to Pisa but only the popular tower. Is this area worth exploring. We will spend about 3 days in Rome. We already had an extensive tour of the Roman sights, and I'm lookig for some good places not typically on the tours. I will post on a separate topic also.
Jul 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Can I ask one more question. My husband had hip surgery and has a little difficulty walking for a long time. We can do about 2 hours at a time. He says he's ok with a cane. While visiting cities such as Aix, Arles, Monaco, etc. is two hours in the AM and then 2 hours in the PM going to give us enough seeing time? I know this is a difficult questions to answer, so if anyone has similar dofficulties, perhaps they can help too.
Jul 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM

Does walking on hills bother your husband? The Cinque Terre is very hilly. As is some destinations along the Cote d'Azur.

There's plenty to do around Nice, most of which is fairly flat. You could take an introductory sightseeing tour of the city, which does minimal walking. Then there's the little Train des Pignes, which goes back into the mountains north of Nice. As for excursions, I think Aix and Arles are too far for daytrips. Other than the Train des Pignes, stick to buses and trains along the coast. Others familiar with Monaco and the towns along the coast may chime in to help you.
Jul 8th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for updates. Half the fun of a trip is in the planning. Is there bus service from airport ro Nice? Other means of transfer? Also, can you suggest a few smaller hotels in Nice?
Jul 8th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Hi,There is a bus service from the airport to NICE. It runs frequently and is 4 Euros. There is room on the bus for your luggage and the bus station in Nice is centrally located. I recently returned from a 10 day stay in Nice and absolutely loved every day. The buses run to all the cities on the RIVIERA ,cost only 1 EURO, ARE AIR CONDITIONED and very comfortable. You can also take a boat trip to ST TROPEZ. There is a ferry service that leaves from the port in NICE tha does a 1 day round trip to ST TROPEZ, It allows you about 3 hours in the town before returning to NICE, I believe this trip is about 45 EUROS,
I rented an apartment .If your stay will be longer than a few days you may want to consider renting. Hope this helps.
Jul 8th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

tdk320 - how did you fid the apartment? Any good restaurants you can suggest?
Jul 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Jerry, I used Riviera Pepples . The website is easy to use ,they also go by the name Nice Pepples. I stayed in the section of Nice called the Old Town. I loved the area easy to go anywhere from there. A short walk to the bus or train station, close to the beach, the Cours Saleya ( this is the open flower and food market that is a must to see ). The choice of restaurants in this section were so vast that I ate all of my dinners in this area.

A few of my favorite were LA MERENDA on Rue Raoul, they have no phone , you just go there and make a reservation .
RESTAURANT ACCHIARDO at 33 Rue Droite
LA PALYMERA on rue Ste. Reparate
SAFARI RESTAURANT this is the Cours Sayeya area which after 1PM becomes all outdoor restaurants.
HOPE THIS HELPS
Jul 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Well, airlines reservations confirmed. Has anyone any information about the Citadines Apartment Hotel in Nice. Ihave stayed with them in Paris, and have always been very pleased with their locations and properties. They are on 3-5. boulevard Francois Grosso. Is that covenient to Old City, markets, etc? Their rates is only $100 euros Any other suggestions in that price range that might be nicer?
Jul 12th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Just one quick comment - September is a VERY busy month in
both Cinque Terre and the Nice area so reservations may be
difficult to get at this late date. Good luck!
Jul 12th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Just a thought -- I would spend more time in Nice and less in CT especially if walking is a problem. The main activity of CT seems to be hiking. There are more different activities around Nice -- art museums, beaches, hill towns, etc. Just an opinion for what it's worth.
Jul 12th, 2009, 03:09 PM

JerryM, you mention that your husband had hip surgery. We live in Vernazza and you should know that there are MANY MANY stairs to most of the accomodations. When planning where to stay, if you decide to stay in the CT, you should specifically ask for the location and the stairs to arrive. As stated September is VERY high season so you should book accomodations before arriving.

You will be able to do the hike from Riomaggiore to Manarola (via dell'amore) because it is paved and easy. The other hikes will be impossible for anyone with a cane. No problems as train and ferry service is available between the villages and the villages themselves are lovely. I STRONGLY AGREE with Kristinelaine: It does seem to me like a long time to stay in CT, she's right, hiking, going to the beach and walking up and down stairs are the key activities in the CT.
Jul 13th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Which town is best then for us to stay, and can you suggest a moderately priced hotel that you might know doesn't have as many steps? If we arrive in CT on the 7th, a Sunday, and stay 2 nights, then take the train toward Rome, is stopping overnight in Genoa a good "food" idea?
Jul 13th, 2009, 02:56 PM

I wish I could help. We stayed in Vernazza and our place was up about 100 steps. Hopefully, someone else will see this and have an answer for you. Otherwise go to www.tripadvisor.com and put in each town and read reviews of the hotels that are priced in your price range.